New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hopping my Imperial Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
andypantz13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hopping my Imperial Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

So, a group of my friends got together and donated money to me to make a beer such as this. I think I've got my recipe down, however I'm a bit unsure on what I should do with my hop schedule. I have perle and columbus hops. I was originally going to bitter with the perle at 60, and then use some columbus around 15/20 minutes for some flavor. Then I got to thinking that the hop flavor may not go too well with the vanilla beans I'm going to put in the secondary.

So now I'm unsure. I've only ever had one commercial version of an imperial oatmeal stout, Fat Dog from Stoudt's Brewing, and its not really my favorite beer. I also know that when I made a normal oatmeal stout, that it did only had bittering hops. So should I add my columbus hops at all? Or will they clash with the vanilla flavor I'm hoping to bring out in this?
Thanks!

-Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Given the strong flavor profile of the roasted malts and vanilla in this beer I would probably skip the late hop additions. However I'm sure other people will have different opinions.
My favorite beer is BORIS (Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout) the Crusher from Hoppin Frog brewery in Akron, OH. This is a wonderful full-bodied roasty RIS. They claim it has a FG of 1.038 but I don't find it to be overly sweet.
Craig Baker

Old 11-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I would leave the Columbus out. Maybe a little of one of the earthy hops, EKG, Fuggles, etc.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
andypantz13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Alright, that's what I was leaning towards. Thanks guys

Quick Reply