Hope you Like Hops!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
hey!! this is the first recipe i've ever formulated. its an IPA. for a 5 gallon batch

2tsp gypsum
1lb crystal 20L(steep)
1/2lb victory malt(steep)
1lb amber DME(boil)
8lbs pale LME(boil)
1oz northern brewer(60min)
1.5oz hallertauer(60min)
1oz cascade(10min)
1tsp irish moss(10min)
white labs american ale yeast

ferment for four days in primary then rack into secondary and add
1.5oz cascade(dry hop) and
2 cups of sanitized oak chips(i Love the oak) and ferment another 7 days. age for four weeks in the bottle o.g should be 68 abv should be 6.7 and IBUs should be 46

what do you think is it a winner?

I personally would lose the Hallertauer hops. It is really not going to add much IBUs to the beer, and you can just use another .5 of NB to replace the IBUs.

Also make sure you taste test the beer often once it is on the oak. The flavor will change a lot.

When I run the number's I am getting an OG in the 1.078-1.080 range. Nothing wrong with that just a lot higher than perhaps you are looking for.

The Victory malt needs to be mashed to get anything out of it. You can drop this and lower the OG about 4 points to get it back within style.

I hope this helps out.

Ed

I agree with the above post and would also reconsider that dry hop. As dry hopping only really gives aroma, I would consider dry hopping with only half that amount (.75oz) and adding the rest in at a 30 minute addition to get some flavor and a bit of bitterness.

Of course thats my $0.02 FWIW :mug:

I personally would lose the Hallertauer hops. It is really not going to add much IBUs to the beer, and you can just use another .5 of NB to replace the IBUs.

Also make sure you taste test the beer often once it is on the oak. The flavor will change a lot.

When I run the number's I am getting an OG in the 1.078-1.080 range. Nothing wrong with that just a lot higher than perhaps you are looking for.

The Victory malt needs to be mashed to get anything out of it. You can drop this and lower the OG about 4 points to get it back within style.

I hope this helps out.

Ed

wow thanks for the opinion ill mess around with it a bit and see what i like thanks again

I also think that with an OG of 1.068-1.080 and IBU of only 46, you'll be getting more of a malt bomb than you'd like.

wow thanks for the opinion ill mess around with it a bit and see what i like thanks again

Not a problem at all. I try to give out honest feedback to recipes when I am asked. I get a lot of emails about creating recipes and feedback on them. I hope you don't think I was being too harsh.

Ed

I do like hops, and I'm assuming you do to, which is why I'd recommend upping the late addition hops and dropping the Hallertauer. Those are mainly flavor/aroma hops and not really appropriate in an IPA. If you haven't already purchased the hops, I'd go with 1 oz. of a very high alpha hop like Summit or Warrior for bittering and then 2-3 oz. of Cascade in the final 20 minutes of the boil for flavor/aroma and a few more IBU's, along with another oz. in secondary. I also agree that steeping the victory is pointless. That's my .02.

BTW, leave it in primary for at least a week, and make a starter!

cheers :mug:

What temp are you planning on mashing at?

And I agree with T-Lop on adding more hops. Kick that sucker up a bit.

To avoid the malt bomb a little I would up the hops a bit and then perhaps mash at a lower temp (maybe 150) for a longer time period (maybe 90 minutes).

What temp are you planning on mashing at?

To avoid the malt bomb a little I would up the hops a bit and then perhaps mash at a lower temp (maybe 150) for a longer time period (maybe 90 minutes).

This is an extract recipe w/steeping grains. No mashing required.

Back