Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hopbursting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hopbursting

I planned out an IPA using Magnum, Simcoe and Summit hops and then I recalled wanting to try out the hopburst idea that has been mentioned several times on the green board (http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=26859).

Has anyone tried it and if so, what are your thoughts on the process? How did your hopbursted beer age from a flavor perspective compared to a more traditionally hopped example?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

bueler........ferris bueler.......

Old 05-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'm Blind! Who in the world picked those colors? Can't read a thing.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds fishy to me. If I'm not mistaken, it takes high temps to finagle the bittering compounds out of hops. This method of adding no bittering hops, then overloading with flavor/aroma/dry hops seems like it'd produce a sickly sweet beer that was overtaken by hop flavor and aroma.

I guess the only reason to try such a think would be if you don't like bitter beer, but you do like the smell and taste of hops.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Actually The IBU's would be the same if you loaded the flavor hops as per the article.

Quote:
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.00
Anticipated OG: 1.067 Plato: 16.29
Anticipated SRM: 9.4
Anticipated IBU: 66.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
First brews I made were done like this but not on an ipa scale. I didn't understand bittering hop additions and there were no fancy interweb in abundance at the time. Since the boil was annoying my parents I did 30 min boils with loads of hops.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, that site is a bit hard on the eyes...

The basic concept is to minimize the bittering hops (or omit entirely) and load up on the 30 minute and under hop additions. The feedback I have have seen so far has been very positive and many say that it really showcases the hop flavors. The missing bittering addition appears to go undetected/unnoticed as a result of the IBUs from the other additions.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It makes sense. You are loosing a lot of hop efficiency here though. You are extracting a little bitterness out of a lot of hops. I think that you would definitely get a hoppy tasting IPA, but would it actually be any hoppier than if you took some of those hops, cut back on them, and boiled them for 60 minutes? There will be a lot of flavors competing for your taste buds and only the strongest will win and coincidently these are probably the hop flavors you would taste if you did it traditionally, imo.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Sounds fishy to me. If I'm not mistaken, it takes high temps to finagle the bittering compounds out of hops. This method of adding no bittering hops, then overloading with flavor/aroma/dry hops seems like it'd produce a sickly sweet beer that was overtaken by hop flavor and aroma.

I guess the only reason to try such a think would be if you don't like bitter beer, but you do like the smell and taste of hops.
well, it appears that the concept does waste a lot of hop potential by the shorter boil times but the IBUs/flavors/aromas compensate. IIRC there are a few award winning recipes that came out of that thread and its companion on the northern brewer forum.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
It makes sense. You are loosing a lot of hop efficiency here though. You are extracting a little bitterness out of a lot of hops. I think that you would definitely get a hoppy tasting IPA, but would it actually be any hoppier than if you took some of those hops, cut back on them, and boiled them for 60 minutes? There will be a lot of flavors competing for your taste buds and only the strongest will win and coincidently these are probably the hop flavors you would taste if you did it traditionally, imo.
The thing that rekindled my interest was Troegs Nugget Nectar...96 IBUs, massive hoppy flavors and aroma while the bitterness doesn't seem anywhere even close to that IBU level. With the Summit and Simcoe hops I was planning on using in this batch, I would really like to bring those out to the front in a big way...this sounds like and interesting technique.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess I should read the recipe more carefully. I still see 15-30 minute additions as bittering hops in some sense. I figured it was just a matter of only adding stuff under 10 mins and then dryhopping the hell out of it. But if you're adding stuff at 30, you're still getting bitterness.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply