Hopbursted Vienna IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a sack of vienna for some lagers this winter and was wondering if Vienna malt could be used as 100% of the grist for an American IPA.

The recipe that I was thinking of would be

10lb Vienna
2 oz Cascade 10 mins
2 oz Centennial 10 mins
2 oz Citra 10 mins
2 oz Crystal 10 mins

then dry hop with whichever suits my fancy from those 4 hops.

OG should be around 1.050, and the IBU's would be around 87. Thanks for the feedback....

I usually use 50% Vienna malt in my IPA's and it works very well... 100% would probably be good too but I can definitely vouch for 50%.

What about the hopbursting schedule? It will be the first time that I try the technique. Thanks

I was thinking of getting a sack of vienna for some lagers this winter and was wondering if Vienna malt could be used as 100% of the grist for an American IPA.

The recipe that I was thinking of would be

10lb Vienna
2 oz Cascade 10 mins
2 oz Centennial 10 mins
2 oz Citra 10 mins
2 oz Crystal 10 mins

then dry hop with whichever suits my fancy from those 4 hops.

OG should be around 1.050, and the IBU's would be around 87. Thanks for the feedback....

I have done 100% it was amazing, had a nice toasty background,it works very well. Hop bursting is awesome, i hop burst nearly all my beers now. The whole recipe looks great, only thing i would even think of changing is to add maybe a pound or 2 of 6 row just to be sure there is no conversion problems.

Absolutely, one of my best IPAs was 100% Vienna with a ton of falconers flight from 20-flame out. Didn't place but scored a 34 in a local competition.

Ooooh, that looks great!

I'd probably change some of the additions to 5 minutes and 0 minutes, though, just for more hops flavor and aroma to be a bit deeper, if that makes sense.

Vienna is great. I just did a Vienna/Galaxy SMaSH.

Galaxy @ 60,30,10,5,flameout and dry. Its great.

I do a Vienna / Amarillo SmaSh regularly with 10 or 11 lbs of grain and mix up the hop schedule havnt made a bad batch yet, Im sure your hop schedule will turn out an outstanding beer you will be glad you made.

Back