Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop Swap Feeler Thread

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
mrkristofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrkristofo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Behind the zion curtain
Posts: 941
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hop Swap Feeler Thread

So many of us have freezers filled to the brim with hops. While most have had the foresight to stock up on varieties that we use in our regular brews, there's the occassional odd-ball recipe that calls for something not in the freezer. This leads to a dilemma with 2 options, use another variety, or pay up the wazoo for what you're looking for.

I propose that we start a "Hop Swap" thread. This thread's purpose is to see if there would be sufficient interest, and to figure out the logistics of how we could do it. Initially I envision a thread where people post up their inventory (or at least what they'd be willing to give up) as well as what they want (if anything). Details about the exchange could go about over PM.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

Cheers,

Kris

__________________
Coming Soon:
Primary: Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08
Secondary: Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while
mrkristofo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 869
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkristofo View Post
So many of us have freezers filled to the brim with hops. While most have had the foresight to stock up on varieties that we use in our regular brews, there's the occassional odd-ball recipe that calls for something not in the freezer. This leads to a dilemma with 2 options, use another variety, or pay up the wazoo for what you're looking for.

I propose that we start a "Hop Swap" thread. This thread's purpose is to see if there would be sufficient interest, and to figure out the logistics of how we could do it. Initially I envision a thread where people post up their inventory (or at least what they'd be willing to give up) as well as what they want (if anything). Details about the exchange could go about over PM.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?

Cheers,

Kris
Sounds like a good plan to me, I'd be interested.
__________________
Warrior is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr_Deathweed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 2,407
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Sounds like a great idea, but I may wait until the fall and the new crop has come in/people have stocked themselves silly. I am sure that even among us who have stocked up, most of us may be down to only a couple of our favorite variates. If we start the swap after the harvest we may have the maximum variety to swap among ourselves.

__________________

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Dr_Deathweed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
SporkD2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 748
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
Sounds like a great idea, but I may wait until the fall and the new crop has come in/people have stocked themselves silly. I am sure that even among us who have stocked up, most of us may be down to only a couple of our favorite variates. If we start the swap after the harvest we may have the maximum variety to swap among ourselves.
This could also become a never ending thread. So I am sure even after the harvest this thread would still be around. I have lots of 4 different kinds but having some variety would be nice too.

I would suggest having a running total with everyones name and what they have to trade and whenever you post or complete a trade you would update the list.

So:

SporkD2 - hops hops hops
Someoneelse - hops hops hops

This could become a massive list that everyone will be responsible for updating themselves.
__________________
SporkD2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr_Deathweed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 2,407
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
I would suggest having a running total with everyones name and what they have to trade and whenever you post or complete a trade you would update the list.

So:

SporkD2 - hops hops hops
Someoneelse - hops hops hops

This is a good idea as well, but i see a bit of confusion starting with simultaneous posts, people being responsible for updating their inventories in an ongoing thread, searching through a bunch of chat to see if someone has posted something new...

what might be easier and less prone to error would be just compile a list of people willing to participate, and have them put the variates and amounts either in their sig or on their profile.

An even better way(but will require a bit of help from tex) is have a link to a page listing all the varieties of hops, and people can put or remove their names under each variety they are willing to trade. This way, someone looking can just click on what they want, see a list of holders, and then PM them to see if a deal can be worked out.

more complicated, but I think there might be less errors than trying to keep up with a thread.
__________________

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Dr_Deathweed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
RICLARK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RICLARK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Ledge, Mich
Posts: 2,539
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default

I think the easiest way would be for those who want to participate, put your inventory of what you want to trade here. Then put what you want and the folks that want to trade just pm that person.

__________________
OUTLAW ALES

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com
RICLARK is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Alamo_Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Alamo_Beer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manor, Tx
Posts: 2,481
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I'm in! ..

__________________
Alamo_Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
sirsloop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South River, NJ
Posts: 2,592
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I have lots of Tettnanger... anyone have some Amarillo they want to trade??

__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~___//_ ____________________________~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~_/ [][]| | /```\/```\/```\/```\/```\ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~
sirsloop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ShortSnoutBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,266
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I could be in. I'll have to take a look at my inventory.

__________________
www.facebook.com/shortsnoutbrewing
www.twitter.com/ShortSnoutBrew
www.shortsnoutbrewing.com
ShortSnoutBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 21,838
Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

I have some EKG I'd swap for Simcoe.

__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Bobby_M is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 999 Swap Feedback Thread... BierMuncher Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 179 08-12-2010 10:45 AM
feeler gauge killian All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 04-22-2009 02:03 PM
Yet another stir plate thread... with a For Sale feeler CrookedChris DIY Projects 27 02-01-2008 04:30 PM
Official Hop Swap Thread Reverend JC Recipes/Ingredients 15 01-09-2008 11:41 AM