Hop substitution Venn-diagram?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazytwoknobs

Reaction score
Anyone else seen this? It's a very large image that is a simplified flavor wheel with hop names inside, and the proximity of the names is proportional to how closely related the characters of the varieties present themselves in beer. So, all three CTZ varieties are basically on top of each other, the cascade hybrids are near cascade..... etc.

I'd love to see this again, I'm not sure where I saw it last, deserves a spot in the sticky in this sub forum.

I'll host the image on my site if nobody else wants to.

Here's a graph I did of Myrcene levels (responsible for citrus/pine flavors) vs. humulene and caryophellene levels (responsible for spicy or floral flavors) in various hops:

Here's a graph I did of Myrcene levels (responsible for citrus/pine flavors) vs. humulene and caryophellene levels (responsible for spicy or floral flavors) in various hops:

Nice job. I like when people put extra effort into understanding their process better and helping teach others. Again - nice

Am I reading this wrong or are Simcoe and Citra interchangable?

Their dots are almost on top of each other.

That means they have the same myrcene levels, and the total of their caryophellene+humulene is the same. That means that, somewhat broadly, they're both likely to be about equally "piney or citrusy". It doesn't say much about the specifics, though.

Lots of people say that Simcoe is quite pine needly with some grapefruit, while Citra is more of a tropical fruity/apricoty flavor. Both of those fall under the "Citrus or Pine"-ish category, but they're not really interchangeable.

Also, this chart says nothing about alpha acid % or beta acid %; they're fairly close, but Citra's usually a bit lower potency than Simcoe (10-12% AA and 3.5%-4.5% BA vs. 12-14% AA and 4-5% BA for Simcoe), which would have an effect on substitutions.

It's strictly a "of the aromatics in these hops, what percentage of them are of this type?" graph. Hopefully it kind of broadly puts similar hops in similar regions of the graph and is a useful jumping off point for trying to figure out what new hops to try.

Citra is more of a tropical fruity/apricoty flavor.

:off: I haven't brewed with it yet, but from having tasted Torpedo and rubbed some cones at the LHBS, I get a pretty strong lime thing from Citra. Am I off?

:off: I haven't brewed with it yet, but from having tasted Torpedo and rubbed some cones at the LHBS, I get a pretty strong lime thing from Citra. Am I off?

First page of beeradvocate reviews has at least the following:
orange peel, grapefruit, pine, grass, lemon, pineapple, tropical fruit

With "grapefruit" and generic "citrus" showing up a lot. So you're in the same ballpark that others are in.

Back