Hop Stoopid! Anyone had it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Hi yall,

I'm new here but not to brewing and other boards. Just wondering if any of you have had this delicious concoction... Its by Lagunitas and is by far one of my favorite IPA/IIPA's

Really, all i can say is that its so damn good and you will really want to keep drinking them if you can find em...

If anyone has had one ... I sure would like to make one... So any thoughts on that would be great.

Oh yeah, I'm cuckoo for Hop Stoopid, whenever I'm feeling spendy & want to buy 22 oz. bottles instead of (relatively less expensive) 6-packs. [It's not available in 6-packs...only in 22 oz. bottles]

It's awesome. Excellent aroma. Though sometimes strikes me as "sweet". Not overly--just 'is sweet tasting'. Still I could drink a ton of it...

Shecky both you and I are in the same neck of the woods... I get mine from Glen Ro in Monroe as I live there. Its totally worth the $4.39 I am going to try the Maximus tonight with the Longshot DIPA.

Good god men, I pay $4.49 and I'm about 1000 miles closer to the brewery than you guys! :eek:

BTW, Howdy DeathBrewer! :) Please don't kill me.

Yep, this and Maximus are very good.

I wish I could say the same for the rest of their beers... they are a hit-and-miss. I have had some bottles that are good, others have been dumped.

My bomber was a twist-off :(

The taste was decent but the mouthfeel was a bit off. I like Ruination better.

I like the hop stoopid, too, and i'm not huge into hop beers. A friend told me that they use a hop extract for the aroma.

Yep, it's true. Just found this:

Nothing 'stoopid' about Lagunitas' newest offering | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET

Well I had to buy one last night, and I re-read the story on the label. I guess the first time I read it I didn't know how much credence to put in it, or that it was related to the Hop Stoopid. It all makes sense now.

BTW, DeathBrewer, I live in San Leandro. About 5 minutes away from here (i.e. dangerously close):
Plaza Bottle Shop - San Leandro, CA

Nice, my buddy just moved to San Leandro...I go out there a couple of times a week to brew. I'll have to stop by that shop.

EDIT: He literally lives about a half-mile from there. Awesome.

:off:
Is this why today they're out of both Green Flash West Coast IPA and SN Bigfoot?!?

Ok, since I'm letting cats out of bags, you might oughta check out another great liquor store, The Liq (1111 macarthur blvd. san leandro - Google Maps). The new owner, Glen, is keen on bringing in high quality beers and has some great bargains right now to help spread the word. Maybe I should be posting this info in some other forum here? (Though I can't access the vendor forum, and I'm not a vendor anyway...)

looks like I'd better head north to San Leandro. :)

Perhaps a Friday beer run is in order. :D

oh, and Hop Stoopid is very tasty. I cleaned the Fremont Bevmo out a couple of weeks ago :)

Nice and really good for the price. I just had two. Really good smelling beer-almost like sniffing the inside of a hop bag. Suprisingly not bitter for the IBUs though...I know that sounds weird, but I have had more bitter beers. Maybe I just got used to it.

Fantastic brew. I tried a 22 of this a few weeks ago and was very impressed. I went to the store yesterday and they were sold out.:( I'll have to check back in a couple of days. Got it for $3.99, no wonder they were sold out.

I realize I'm pretty late to this party, but I just tried Hop Stoopid tonight and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. I guess I wasn't ready for the 100 IBUs. I thought I could handle the hops, but alas, they have defeated me....and I am shamed. :(

I guess I'll stick with Sweetgrass APA for my high IBU beer (60 IBUs).

:mug:

I realize I'm pretty late to this party, but I just tried Hop Stoopid tonight and I have to say that I did not enjoy it. I guess I wasn't ready for the 100 IBUs. I thought I could handle the hops, but alas, they have defeated me....and I am shamed. :(

I guess I'll stick with Sweetgrass APA for my high IBU beer (60 IBUs).

:mug:

Practice makes perfect. I remember the first Pliny I drank - the first few sips were brutal and then I got used to the hops/bitter combo. I actually like the Stoopid better because it was consistent and now I am a bit burnt out on all those hops.

I love this beer too...had a buddy get me some (I live in Germany so this was a treat!!) The hop aroma was so freakin good on this one....

Lagunitas is known for mashing high as well which would account for that sweetness one of the first posters mentioned. I think on the BN interview the brewer said 158 or something like that....

I just tried this beer and it is fn awesome. I also recently tried thier little sumptin sumptin also fn amazing.

So anyone wanna take a stab at this recipe ?
My guess is lots of simcoe/centennial/chinook for dry hops as I smell the bottle.
Drinking a 22oz as I write this and I must say definitely doens't taste like 102 IBU but the 8% you can feel.

So anyone wanna take a stab at this recipe ?
My guess is lots of simcoe/centennial/chinook for dry hops as I smell the bottle.
Drinking a 22oz as I write this and I must say definitely doens't taste like 102 IBU but the 8% you can feel.

I think you are on point but my guess is there is a lot more than that. Maybe some Santium, Amarillo, and Cascade as well.

Tried this tonight and while it was a good beer it didn't really seem to live up to the 102 IBUs. Not as well balanced as I would like either, a bit too much on the sweet side. Still very drinkable and worth the trial. Pittsburgh just started allowing 6-packs at a few select grocery stores and it was funny the hoops they are jumping through. My wife and I had to split our order of 2 6-packs and 2 22 oz bottles into separate orders and the checkout guy said he was not allowed to bag it for us but could give us a bag and we could bag it ourselves.

hello yeah, hop stoopid is the best 3.79 22oz you can get as far as a DIPA. Even if it was more it would still be great. Not my fav but still a great DIPA!

Well, just sampled my first Hop Stoopid last night. 22 oz bomber. Very nice maltiness behind that great hop aroma. Didn't pick up that usual citrus typical of the CA IPAs, more on the piney tropical herbal end of things. Thought the mix with the more malt forwardness made this really drinkable. I'd be interested in a recipe but the only reference to one I found on the web had a broken or disabled link. On the website they Lagunitas says its goal was to use as many different hops as possible. Sounds like the Sculpin IPA with 8 hops in the recipe. Anyone find a clone?

I have to pay 7.99 for a 22oz. on the east coast. It is a very good beer though.

I first stated seeing it around here a couple years ago. The local pizza joint got a keg of it in one time when I was picking up some carry out pizza. I called the wife and told her to come get the pizza, I was going to be busy for a while.

It's proof that good beer can be made with some extracts!

Hmmm. I tried this twice on draft and didn't think much of it. With all the good press here, I'm wondering if the bar screwed up the keg. I didn't detect much if a nose and it seemed flat. Think I need to try it elsewhere or in bottles.

Back