Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop Share Recipe share.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am probably going to get some Centennial and Chinook from Freshops (on my Christmas wish list) and brew a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone. This is the recipe, it is from Mike McDole as shared on one of the Brewing Network shows:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I plan on brewin the hell out of BM's kona fire rock clone.....my favorite beer right now. A little OT but what is the big difference between using a hopback and just dryhopping?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
I plan on brewin the hell out of BM's kona fire rock clone.....my favorite beer right now. A little OT but what is the big difference between using a hopback and just dryhopping?
my guess hopback is on the way to primary, dryhopping often happens in a secondary vessel.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ahem, ok let's try this again.

I will definatley be brewing up a lot of my favorite recipe which is in my recipe dropdown, Bloody IRA. It uses Cascade and Crystal can be subbed out for the cluster very nicely, the crystal gives it a nice noble smoothness that a regular IPA doesn't have. I haven't actually done it with Crystal, but I am about to, and I have done it with other American "noble" varieties (Liberty, Mt. Hood).

Since the crystal is a sub for Halllertau, I will probably be using it in a few German lagers as well, like my gold medal winning Schwarzbier (also in drop down), and my Vienna Lager.

I think a SMaSH with Marris Otter and Crystal would come out nice, I may have to try that.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Last edited by BarleyWater; 12-04-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
A little OT but what is the big difference between using a hopback and just dryhopping?
It is on the way to the primary, before chilling. I do not have a hopback, I would just add the those as 0 minute addition.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
MikeInCtown
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For the user who is still wondering what we are talking about, you need to be a paying member to understand. It's a nice perk fo sure.

As to my recipies, I have three ale yeasts that I pulled from the secondary and have in the fridge. I'm hoping I can get them started again and brew a few ales with at least the cascades and a few ounces of store bought.

What's really nice about getting this stuff is that I can vacuum them up in oz packages and then pull out of the deep freezer as necessary without having to visit the LHBS.

Bottled - Continental Pilsner, Island Mist Mango Citrus, Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz
Up next - AH Foster's clone, Labatt's clone, Hard Apple Cider,
The Independence Street Brew House

Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Biermuncher, that recipe has a crazy amount of hops...I might just have to try it!

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I am getting a pound of crystal, and a pound of cascade. I've only used crystal once before, so I"m not sure what I'll do with it. I used it in a nice American Amber, and loved it.

I'm going to be making some big-ass IPAs with my centennial/cascade combo. I have tons of centennial right now, and first is the Two hearted clone, and then some centennial/cascade mixes.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #19
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lorena,

When you get them, open up the Crystal and it all will come to you. After packaging up 22 of the 33lbs of Crystal I'm wishing I had some for myself. They are smelling fantastic and I think they would work well for a flavor/aroma hop in a Pale Ale or IPA.

For the holidays some houses may smell of cinnamon, evergreen trees and the like. Screw that, mine smells like hops!!!

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
Lorena,

When you get them, open up the Crystal and it all will come to you. After packaging up 22 of the 33lbs of Crystal I'm wishing I had some for myself. They are smelling fantastic and I think they would work well for a flavor/aroma hop in a Pale Ale or IPA.

For the holidays some houses may smell of cinnamon, evergreen trees and the like. Screw that, mine smells like hops!!!
Ok, Harv, I'll let the hops speak to me and tell me how to use them. Thanks again for organizing this, sharing the wealth, and giving to charity also. I admire you for it.

Quick Reply