Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop Schedule for DIPA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,810
Liked 2660 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

I'm formulating a recipe for a DIPA and wanted some suggestions on the hops. I already have my grain bill, there's nothing really special there. I wanted to keep it simple and let the hops take over. My target OG will be 1.092.
The hops I want to use for this beer are Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe. I also have some Mosaic I thought about tossing in. In all, I have: 19 oz of Citra, 13 oz Amarillo, 6 oz of Simcoe and 4 oz of Mosaic to work with. My original plan was to add a good amount of each from 15-0 adding a lot at knockout. Then using enough Simcoe at 30 or FWH to reach around 100 IBUs including the later additions. I was messing around with the recipe and ended up with 16 oz of hops total including dry hop. Does that sound like too many hops? Or is there such a thing?
What do y'all think?

__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: , Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,566
Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Default

All the hops you have there are awesome ones. If it was me I would try to bitter the beer with a more tradional method and use your 'hard to get' hops for flavor/aroma. Find some cheap high alpha hops to bitter for 90 or 60 minutes. Magnum or something, then hop burst the last 15 with the hops you have. Should give you what you want without blowing all your stash up. In answer to your other question if there is such thing as too much....hell no. LOL Just my 2 cents.

__________________
Hammy71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,810
Liked 2660 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71
All the hops you have there are awesome ones. If it was me I would try to bitter the beer with a more tradional method and use your 'hard to get' hops for flavor/aroma. Find some cheap high alpha hops to bitter for 90 or 60 minutes. Magnum or something, then hop burst the last 15 with the hops you have. Should give you what you want without blowing all your stash up. In answer to your other question if there is such thing as too much....hell no. LOL Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the reply. I have a little Magnum, but not much. Im not too worried about using some Simcoe for bittering since my LHBS always has a great assortment of hops in stock, even the really popular "hard to get" ones.
This is what I'm thinking for late additions:
15 min.
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Citra

10 min.
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Citra
.5 oz Simcoe

5 min.
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
.5 oz Simcoe

0 min.
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simcoe

Dry Hops
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Mosaic
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: houston
Posts: 1,382
Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I brewed an IPA that had 18oz of hops. It was probably supposed to be 5 gallons, but after all the wort losses to trub and hop absorption, it ended up being 4, albeit a very tasty 4. I have a DIPA dry-hopping now that had 17oz. I'm not going to say I made the most optimal and efficient use out of all those hops, but when The Mad Fermentationist has recipes using a similar amount of hops, I figure I'm not too crazy. After I squeezed the crap out of my paint strainer bag on the first batch, I weighed it and found that hop pellets absorb about 4X their weight in beer. 18oz hops=72oz beer, or in other words, The six-pack that never was. I need to order some hop extract if I keep brewing like this.

__________________

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

kingwood-kid is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,810
Liked 2660 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid
I brewed an IPA that had 18oz of hops. It was probably supposed to be 5 gallons, but after all the wort losses to trub and hop absorption, it ended up being 4, albeit a very tasty 4. I have a DIPA dry-hopping now that had 17oz. I'm not going to say I made the most optimal and efficient use out of all those hops, but when The Mad Fermentationist has recipes using a similar amount of hops, I figure I'm not too crazy. After I squeezed the crap out of my paint strainer bag on the first batch, I weighed it and found that hop pellets absorb about 4X their weight in beer. 18oz hops=72oz beer, or in other words, The six-pack that never was. I need to order some hop extract if I keep brewing like this.
I thought about that. I've been making 6.5 gallon batches lately so that should help with wort loss. I think I'm going to move forward with my planned hop schedule and see what happens. Haven't really gotten any response about it so it must not be a recipe for disaster.
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,535
Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

With those hops, and that amount of them, you're going to have a fruity IIPA... not a dank, piney, floral, earthy, or even a fairly citrusy one.

I would pick up some Columbus or Apollo to bitter with; a traditional bitter at 90... none of this sissy FWH garbage. This is an IIPA you're talking about. That said, 16 oz. is a bit overkill if your OG hovers in the 1.070s. Pliny the Elder uses 12.5 oz. per 5 gallon batch. Choosing something with character (like Columbus over clean Magnum) will definitely offer more complexity to your IIPA.

More and more, I'm liking the heavy early, subtle middle, and heavy 0 min. whirlpool & dryhop schedule. Reason being, you have the bitterness you need early on with subtle flavor contributions. Then a middle addition provides slightly more flavor and helps to round out the bitterness (as opposed to bittering your full amount at 90). Then nothing until 0 min. You already have the bitterness and an interesting IIPA base to build that late flavor and aroma without destroying any of the delicate aromatic hop oils that you do during the boil. If you toss your 0 min. additions in below 180F, then you're not isomerizing the alpha acids which means you're not getting any IBUs... just flavor and aroma. A 3-4 oz. addition at whirlpool along with a 4-6 oz. dryhop won't make you miss any of those additions that you neglected to add from 20-5 minutes.

__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,353
Liked 147 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Bon basically said everything I was going to say, follow his outline above and you'll kill it.

__________________

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Coff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,810
Liked 2660 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
With those hops, and that amount of them, you're going to have a fruity IIPA... not a dank, piney, floral, earthy, or even a fairly citrusy one.

I would pick up some Columbus or Apollo to bitter with; a traditional bitter at 90... none of this sissy FWH garbage. This is an IIPA you're talking about. That said, 16 oz. is a bit overkill if your OG hovers in the 1.070s. Pliny the Elder uses 12.5 oz. per 5 gallon batch. Choosing something with character (like Columbus over clean Magnum) will definitely offer more complexity to your IIPA.

More and more, I'm liking the heavy early, subtle middle, and heavy 0 min. whirlpool & dryhop schedule. Reason being, you have the bitterness you need early on with subtle flavor contributions. Then a middle addition provides slightly more flavor and helps to round out the bitterness (as opposed to bittering your full amount at 90). Then nothing until 0 min. You already have the bitterness and an interesting IIPA base to build that late flavor and aroma without destroying any of the delicate aromatic hop oils that you do during the boil. If you toss your 0 min. additions in below 180F, then you're not isomerizing the alpha acids which means you're not getting any IBUs... just flavor and aroma. A 3-4 oz. addition at whirlpool along with a 4-6 oz. dryhop won't make you miss any of those additions that you neglected to add from 20-5 minutes.
Thanks for the tips. My target OG is 1.092 and this is a 6.5 gallon batch, so 16 oz doesn't seem too crazy taking that into consideration. I might take out some of the addition times and add those hops at 0 or whirlpool and maybe dry hop a couple more ounces. More than anything, I want the hop flavor and aroma to be the star of this beer and I really like the character of all the hops I chose, except for Mosaic. I haven't worked with it yet and can scrap it from the recipe if need be.
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 3,535
Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

16 oz. hops doesn't sound too crazy for that OG. What sounds crazy is the OG itself. You're in barleywine territory there. If you want smooth, easy drinkability with signature IIPA dryness that allows the hops to shine, then drop that OG to the 1.070s. Otherwise, make a sweet hoppy barleywine. Mosaic is also fruity with some added berry traits. It's an offspring of Simcoe/Nugget.

__________________
bobbrews is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,810
Liked 2660 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
16 oz. hops doesn't sound too crazy for that OG. What sounds crazy is the OG itself. You're in barleywine territory there. If you want smooth, easy drinkability with signature IIPA dryness that allows the hops to shine, then drop that OG to the 1.070s. Otherwise, make a sweet hoppy barleywine. Mosaic is also fruity with some added berry traits. It's an offspring of Simcoe/Nugget.
I've had some Double IPAs in the 9-10% ABV range and enjoyed them. I do like some sweetness in the finished beer, but not enough to be cloying. I also like fruity and citrusy, a little bit of pine but not too much.
I could drop the OG down a little bit, maybe in the 1.080s. I'm not married to the original plan for this beer. I keep adjusting here and there.
__________________

Long story short, Beer.

WesleyS is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First DIPA! shaneogle89 Extract Brewing 6 10-18-2012 03:18 PM
DIPA Hop additions/schedule mrrshotshot Recipes/Ingredients 17 07-06-2012 04:06 PM
Thoughts/Help on Hop Schedule for DIPA ejyoung Recipes/Ingredients 9 05-21-2012 02:49 AM
DIPA Hop Schedule Tumpster General Techniques 12 11-17-2009 07:26 PM
Dipa RickWG Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-24-2007 09:47 PM