Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop Impact of First Wort Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Jamo99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hop Impact of First Wort Hopping

My understanding of FWH is that it accomplishes a number of things. Better hop utilization, a 10% increase in the number of IBUs compared with a (60) addition, and a smoother overall bitterness. Some additional reading indicates that the hop flavor partially gets "locked in" during the steeping time, and remains after the boil, even though one would think that the boiling process would get rid of the flavor components.

How much of the flavor is maintained? I ask because I FWH for the second time yesterday and have not tasted my first attempt yet. My second attempt I grabbed the wrong hops from the fridge though, not worried about it, just curious. I had meant to FWH with liberty, but grabbed amarillo.

I know this rye pale ale will work well with amarillo...because I have a different rye pale ale on tap right now dryhopped with 2 oz of amarillo

Edit: I guess by hop impact, i really meant flavor impact. D'oh!!

Last edited by Jamo99; 06-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Gabe
It's a sickness!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FWH is the $hit..... I love doing this to alot of different styles, especially IPA's. My favorite hop for this method has got to be Magnum.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read that you can approximate your FWH alpha acid utilization as if it were a 20 minute boil, but you definitely get more flavor. I use the 20-minute rule and experience good results.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Denny Conn had some samples analyzed and the results
Quote from Denny
" In a split batch I did, one with only FWH Cascades and the other with the same amount of the same hops at 60, the analyses of 2 different labs showed the FWH beer to have on average 10% more IBUs. Blind traingle tasting done both here in Eugen and by Jamil Z. in CA, each with a combo of homebrewers, pro brewers and BJCP judges showed remarkably little ability to tell a difference between the 2 and a slight preference for the FWH beer. Personally, I use FWH often (dozens, maybe hundreds of times) and tell myself that it _tastes_ (and bitters) like a 20 min. addition, so dammit, that's what I'm callin' it!

Dan, if that's how you perceive it, that's the right way to do it! Again, when I reduce the bittering to compensate for the FWH, I do it only as much as a 20 min. boil addition would add. That's not a lot.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
SRFeldman79
Recipes 

a 20 min addition isn't so high that FWH can replace 60 min additions if you are going to for a high IBU finish though, right?

also, FWH go in when the grains are done steeping but before the boil or do they go in when the grains first go in?

- The Boozy Beggar

www.boozybeggar.com
boozybeggar@gmail.com
Twitter: BoozyBeggarChi
www.facebook.com/theboozybeggar

Old 06-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99 View Post
Some additional reading indicates that the hop flavor partially gets "locked in" during the steeping time...
I always FWH. You can also mash hop. IMHO, it provides a much smoother bittering effect.

You better lock it up!
No you better lock it up!
No, you better lock it up!

Name that movie...

Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFeldman79 View Post
a 20 min addition isn't so high that FWH can replace 60 min additions if you are going to for a high IBU finish though, right?

also, FWH go in when the grains are done steeping but before the boil or do they go in when the grains first go in?
I don't know- I've only done it with all grain. I think if you were doing it for extract brewing, it wouldn't the same. If you added the hops before the extract, your bittering would be different due to the low SG of the wort at that point. You'd have better hops utlization, so I think the bittering wouldn't be as smooth, and it would intensify the bittering, if that makes sense. I've never heard of FWH for extract brewing- but someone must have done it and would be able to answer the question.

When I FWH, I put the hops in with the first runnings, and it steeps in there until I add the second runnings and start to bring the wort to a boil. So, the first runnings have a high SG- maybe that's why the bitterness you get is smoother? I don't know- that's just my guess.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFeldman79 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I don't know- I've only done it with all grain. I think if you were doing it for extract brewing, it wouldn't the same. If you added the hops before the extract, your bittering would be different due to the low SG of the wort at that point. You'd have better hops utlization, so I think the bittering wouldn't be as smooth, and it would intensify the bittering, if that makes sense. I've never heard of FWH for extract brewing- but someone must have done it and would be able to answer the question.

When I FWH, I put the hops in with the first runnings, and it steeps in there until I add the second runnings and start to bring the wort to a boil. So, the first runnings have a high SG- maybe that's why the bitterness you get is smoother? I don't know- that's just my guess.

SRFeldman79, I believe it is time to do Partial mashes. FWHopping does not work with steeping

Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm wondering why, if what niquejim says is true, ProMash automatically DROPS your IBU's by a few points if you go from, say, 60 mins to FW. What's up wit dat?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I'm wondering why, if what niquejim says is true, ProMash automatically DROPS your IBU's by a few points if you go from, say, 60 mins to FW. What's up wit dat?
I was wondering the same thing.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply