New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop Flavors and Aromas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
TheHairyHop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Hop Flavors and Aromas

Hey all.

After a lackluster pale ale, I feel as if I need to redeem myself with a good IPA or APA. I checked the ingredients list in the sticky for hop flavors and aromas, but all of the links are fairly incomplete. They're either missing varieties that are now fairly common, or the descriptions are lackluster. i.e. Citra is labeled as "intense" and that's all.

What hop resource do you guys use for dreaming up hop combos? I know a lot comes from experience, but we've all got to start somewhere!

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I picked up BYOs Hop Guide a while back. It's got a lot of good information. There's a list in the back with hop descriptions. I keep it in my brew notebook at all times.

Also, if you do partial boils like me, hop bursting really helps with hop flavor.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
I picked up BYOs Hop Guide a while back. It's got a lot of good information. There's a list in the back with hop descriptions. I keep it in my brew notebook at all times.

Also, if you do partial boils like me, hop bursting really helps with hop flavor.
Is this what you're referring to?
http://www.byo.com/store/byo-special-issues/hop-lovers-guide

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I find beer legends hop variety listing to be a great resource. Combine this with the new interactive hop chart and you can potentially dial in some decent combos:

Beerlegends Hop Varieties: http://beerlegends.com/hops-varieties

Ryan Hope's Interactive Hop Chart: http://glimmer.rstudio.com/ryanhope/hops/

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I find beer legends hop variety listing to be a great resource. Combine this with the new interactive hop chart and you can potentially dial in some decent combos:

Beerlegends Hop Varieties: http://beerlegends.com/hops-varieties

Ryan Hope's Interactive Hop Chart: http://glimmer.rstudio.com/ryanhope/hops/
Oh this seems pretty nice. There's not much for direct flavor descriptions, but by looking at the oil composition you can figure it out.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Get this book. The newest edition was updated with all the recent hop varieties as of December 2012. It goes all the way from dumbed-down descriptions and uses of each hop to detailed explinations of the science involved.

It has everything about everything about hops. For $11.33, it's really the current definitive handbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Hops-Practical-Bitterness-Elements/dp/1938469011/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360877840&sr=1-1&keywords=hops

Primary #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cranberry Cider
Primary #2 - Smoked Vidalia Onion Beer
Primary #3 - Schwartzbier
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - EMPTY!
Keg #2 - EMPTY!
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
JLem
naturally selected

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHairyHop
Hey all.

After a lackluster pale ale, I feel as if I need to redeem myself with a good IPA or APA. I checked the ingredients list in the sticky for hop flavors and aromas, but all of the links are fairly incomplete. They're either missing varieties that are now fairly common, or the descriptions are lackluster. i.e. Citra is labeled as "intense" and that's all.

What hop resource do you guys use for dreaming up hop combos? I know a lot comes from experience, but we've all got to start somewhere!
Can you give your recipe? Perhaps there are some process corrections that could be made to help get the hop character you're looking for.

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, while some hops are better for bittering, some for flavor, others for aroma, and some can do a combination of things, when you add them is also key.

Bitterness comes from an early addition (near the start of the boil) mostly, but can come from later additions too, so long as the wort is still hot enough to isomerize hop crystals.

Flavor comes from additions near the middle of the boil, usually 30-15 minutes left.

Aroma comes mostly from late additions, 15-0 mins left and also dry-hopping.

You bitter to get IBU's. You add generally more flavor and even more aroma hops because it takes more to get the desired effects of these things. Dry-hopping is key for a good PA/IPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Can you give your recipe? Perhaps there are some process corrections that could be made to help get the hop character you're looking for.
Sure. It wasn't the most heavily hopped ale, but I definitely assumed it would have carried much more character. The brew tastes slightly hoppy but has zero aroma.

1 oz Warrior 60 (this batch was 17% AA)
1 oz Willamette 15
2 oz Willamette 5
1 oz Centennial 5

I've recently come to the conclusion that FO additions with a stand around 180 degrees probably gets more flavor. I'm also going to dry hop as well next time.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Also look up commercial beers and see if you can find the hops used. For instance 2 hearted is all centennial, obviously same with founders centennial ipa. Arrogant bastard is supposed to be all chinook, although I think it could be columbus plus something else...

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Quick Reply