Hop Dump IPA - too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I need to clear some space for some new hops, do you think this would be too muddied (6 varieties) or will it work well? I'm open to other suggestions on hop schedule as well. For now I'm skipping a dry hop since I'm trying to make room sooner than later.

5gal batch
1.061 OG, "100" IBUs

9lbs Pils
3lbs Munich 10

1oz each (6oz total) Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Falconers Flight, Summit @ 10
1oz each (6oz total) Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Falconers Flight, Summit @ 5
2oz each (12oz total) Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Falconers Flight, Summit @ 0

S-05

mash @150F, boil 90mins, ferment @65F

Sounds good! I would recommend a BIG hop bag so you can get the trub out of the kettle after the boil. After a huge ipa I usually squeeze the hop bag with a sanitized section of paracord to recover as much wort as possible.

Also save some for a dry hop. You can't hang onto 4 oz for 5 days or so?

Rock it out! I love hopbursting beers. I wouldn't save any for a dry hop. You'll get so much aroma and flavor from all the late hopping I think all the hops are best served in the boil. I'd wait to add the 0 addition until wort cooled to 190F then hold for 15 minutes then cool to pitching temp.

The low OG is what's gonna kill you. Bring it to 1.080-ish then finish real dry and you can use the hops as planned in fairly large amounts. I don't see a bittering addition here. Not sure if you skipped over it, or intentionally forgot to add one. But you won't get close to 100 IBUs with no bittering addition. The Bittering to Gravity ratios must be more aligned to have a great IPA. 1.061 OG with 100+theoretical IBUs may be a little off for most people.

The following schedule is gold for a full volume boil / 5 gallon batch:

Approx 1-1.5 oz high alpha hops at 90 minutes
Approx 2-3 oz @ 10 minutes
Approx 3-4 oz @ mid flameout with substantial hop burst
Approx 3.5-4.5 oz dryhops @ 10-12 days

How to finish real dry:

*Use fresh to death, high attenuating yeast like WLP001
*Pitch a big, healthy, nasty starter and ferment in low to mid 60s
*Substitute 4-7% malt with corn sugar
*Mash @ 147-150 F
*Leave in the primary for 3 weeks and then rack to secondary for 10-12 days.

His first addition is at 10 minutes. It won't be any where near 100 IBUs. This is a hopbursted beer not a traditional IPA. It'll be awesome.

6 varieties? You got more than that, since Falconers is a blend as it is. You could have 10+ varieties in there! ;) Although at least the Citra is an overlap, since that's in FF.

I think i would mash a little bit higher, because your not using any crystal malts, I like 1272, but im sure its not used as often in WCPA

I think i would mash a little bit higher, because your not using any crystal malts, I like 1272, but im sure its not used as often in WCPA

how much higher were you thinking?

His first addition is at 10 minutes. It won't be any where near 100 IBUs. This is a hopbursted beer not a traditional IPA. It'll be awesome.

right, while it somehow calculates to over 100 IBUs, its not going to taste anything like that.

my original thought was to toss the full 1.5lbs in at 5mins and then whirlpool for a bit. do you think its better to split it up like its written above (or similar) or use one huge charge?

I think your right 150 will be great, I just like more mouthfeel, but i think you might like this idea¡

Hops,Hops,Hops maybe add two more ounces and go for 1oz per minute for 15min going from highest to lowest then lowest to highest alpha hop then fininshing with a tornado infused vortex of hop aroma with your 12 oz infusion

so i just squeezed 0.5gal of wort out of all the hops and am seriously considering fermenting it on its own :rockin:. what do you think?

Whatever you do, let that flameout addition steep in the covered kettle for 30 minutes after giving it a good stir. Massive hop aroma and flavor.

Kudos to you good sir. I absolutely love hopbursting beers with insane amounts of hops late in the boil

Subscribed. When I first saw this, I thought it would be extremely unbalanced, but the majority of people think it was a good idea. Keep us posted on how it turns out and whether you enter it in any competitions.

just wondering how this turned out? and if you fermented the .5 gal by itself ?

as tempting as it was, i did not ferment the 0.5gal by itself. ill give an update next month when its done. my house still kinda smells like hops, its wonderful

i think it came out quite well, definitely more bitter than expected tho. I was hoping a bit more aroma would carry over, but its definitely packed with hop flavor. some family enjoyed it, but i need to get some friends to try some to get a better grasp on it.

final #s ended up being OG of 1.076 (higher than usual efficiency and over-boiled a bit) and FG of 1.013

This sounds great. My wife and I love hoppy beers and I have over 20 lbs of hops (18 Varieties) here at the house and was thinking about the doing the same in 2 batches.

Back