Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hop buying

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Big10Seaner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Hop buying

I was trying to figure out my brewing schedule for the rest of the year and realized some of the hops I'm going to need might be hard to get ahold of (EK Goldings, etc.). If I want to remain true to some of these recipes, I want the hops they call for. I was wondering, if I happen to find some of these hops, should I buy them and hold onto them for the year until I need them? Basically, I'm asking if any of you think there will be any hops which will be totally unavailable this year?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Buy what you need when you find them. Kept sealed in a freezer, they're good for a couple years.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You can store the pellets for about a year in the freezer if they are vaccuum sealed. They do loose some of their alpha acids, over the year, but you can just assume that after a while they will be about 25% less potent than on the label and adjust your recipe accordingly.

Most freezers have an auto defrost, and the freezing and thawing in the frezer is not ideal for the hops, so you may want to put them inside a cooler inside the freezer so that the temperature stays more constant. I personally have about 8 pounds of hops stored in my freezer, mostly pellets because they stay good longer, but I also have some whole leaf hops as well.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Quick Reply