Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Honing your recipes by limiting your brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I love so many different styles of beer and I really enjoy trying different beers so I have not considered trying to perfect one or two beers. The only recipe I am considering repeating is the one my wife likes and requested that I make more.
After a few more batches I may consider rebrewing a beer with small variations but for now chaos reigns.
Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

I like this idea a lot and will probably be in this camp after I get more (a lot more) experience. With say a 3 gal batch, I could probably go AG and do full boils on the stovetop even!
I'm also interested in doing some yeast comparisons, where I split a 5 gal batch and pitch two different yeasts - like 1056 in one and 1028 in the other. Just to get a good controlled comparison.
Any reccomendations for smaller sized fermentation vessels?

flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 07-20-2007, 04:52 AM   #13
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

While this sounds like a good idea in theory, I couldn't really do it. First, I'd tire of the same style quickly. Second, and most important, unless I lived at the equator, getting a beer to turn out the same each time would be hard for me to accomplish because I don't have a dedicated ferment chamber where I could exactly replicate the same temps every time. The ferment temp is probably the sole important aspect of getting a recipe to taste the same every time, because it is the hardest thing to do.

I like the idea of wanting to get a consistent recipe though.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

well, it would be more of an experiment I suppose to see how "consistent" things turn out. Being even farther north of the equator than you Dude, I have even wilder temp fluctuations I believe. I do not have a fancy ferment chamber either. Just a water bath and aquarium heater for the winter time...

I think more so this is to eliminate having many variables until I can at least be consistent in brewing good beer. I have been having "issues". One of which is in part due to evolving techniques and equipment over the last year. I am fairly locked in to my "system" now and finally set with my AG setup. Now its working the bugs out so to speak. Literally and figuratively I suppose out out you nasty critters!!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I have far too short an attention span to just brew the same couple of beers over and over again. For me, this is all about experimentation, trying new things, exploration... it's an art, not a science where I feel I need to get each and every variable exactly right. Now, were I to start a microbrewery or a brewpub, you would have to cut back on the stuff you brewed to truly perfect them, but in the homebrewing context... nah, I'm going to keep trying as many new and different things as I can.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm resurrecting this thread because the idea of focusing on a handful of recipes is starting to appeal to me again.

I have yet to brew a recipe twice, but I've now found a few I think are worth repeating. Plus, my hophead of a wife wants more IPAs so we'll be doing an IPA (or APA) every other brew.

In 2008 I'm going to work on my Ordinary Bitter, IPA, and an APA (prolly Ed's Haus). I'll likely brew at least 20 times in 2008, so even if I repeat each of these 4 times I'll still have 8 brews that are different.

Anyone else thinking the same thing?

For those of you who originally responded to this thread in July - Did you stick to your plans to limit your brews to just a few or were you like me and forgot about it completely?

Last edited by Beerthoven; 11-29-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I like the idea of brewing a batch and splitting it to vary one or more aspects of it. I plan to brew a blonde and split it to ferment as an ale and lager. I hope to just hone my pallet to recognize the different characteristic a bit more. Another idea is to ferment the same exact brew at two different temps(or more), say 5 degrees different to be able to note the flavor differences. Hmm, I need to get like 6 one gallon jugs.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

For a while, just about every other or every third batch was the same recipe, varied a bit from the last according to what I wanted out of it. It actually started as an AIPA and has now morphed into something of an American Brown. In the end, it was just tweaking a bit. Finally, after about 10 years, I got it where I wanted it and haven't varied it since.

However, I got a bit of an itch, so I might start playing with it again.

Do what interests you. It's a hobby. You're not writing a grant application.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got one recipe that I'm going to be brewing for the fourth time in a few days because I was trying to make a clone recipe and I plan to keep at it till I've got it down perfect. A long the way I stumbled upon a couple other attempts that I really liked the results, so I'll definitely be repeating them since they turned out too good not to.

One thing I want to start doing is trying to do two batches at once, especially if its a recipe that I really like. 5 gallons is gone far to quickly. I'm thinking maybe either step up to 10 gallon batches or possibly 2 5 gallon batches at the same time so maybe I can stick to the recipe on one and take a bit of liberty and experiment with the other.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
For a while, just about every other or every third batch was the same recipe, varied a bit from the last according to what I wanted out of it. It actually started as an AIPA and has now morphed into something of an American Brown. In the end, it was just tweaking a bit. Finally, after about 10 years, I got it where I wanted it and haven't varied it since.

However, I got a bit of an itch, so I might start playing with it again.

Do what interests you. It's a hobby.
That's what I'm talking about. Taking a recipe you like and working with it. I've learned a lot from brewing different styles, but I think I can also learn a lot from repeating or slightly modifying a handful of recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
You're not writing a grant application.
Actually, I am writing a beer-related grant application, but that's another story.

Quick Reply