Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Honey Lemon Rose Blonde Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Honey Rose Blonde Ale

Beer for swmbo, but I'm looking forward to it too. Our favorite flavor in the hookah is rose so I decided to make a beer for her off of that concept. I decided that a blonde ale with some honey flavor would make a good canvas for the rose and a little lemon citrus would accent it nicely:

OG 1.048
FG~1.009
~4.6% ABV

5.3 SRM

6lbs Pale Malt (US)
0.5lbs Crystal 10L
0.5lbs Honey malt
0.5lbs Flaked Wheat

Mash 152 F for 75 min

1oz Williamette 5.5% 60min = 20 IBU

US-05

zest of two lemons and 1 lb of orange blossom honey added to primary
*edit: deleting the lemon zest, and 2lb of clover honey was used instead of 1lb orange blossom*

?oz Rose Water added at bottling. I'm going to do some experimenting with an eye dropper and some light beer (maybe JW dundees honey brown) to get an approximation on how much rose water to use since the stuff varies in strength anyway. Thoughts? The recipe probably won't change since I already ordered the ingredients but I'm still interested to hear predictions.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 09-14-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you heard of a rhodomiel? It's a mead made with flowers of some sort. This sounds like it will have too many flavors going on.

Does she like beer already? The trick, I've found, to turning the opposite sex over to the dark side is to brew something without hops. They can't stand them for some reason.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Have you heard of a rhodomiel? It's a mead made with flowers of some sort. This sounds like it will have too many flavors going on.

Does she like beer already? The trick, I've found, to turning the opposite sex over to the dark side is to brew something without hops. They can't stand them for some reason.
She likes a lot of beers but usually not hop-forward beers, so I figured a bittering addition of a more delicate hop would do well just to offset the sweetness. I am conscious of the possibility of too many flavors, but I'm hoping that won't be the case for two reasons: 1) only the rose flavor will be given a "leading role" and 2) I think the flavors will complement each other.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, well, it sounds like you know what you want to do. I'd advise against putting too much rose in it though, or else it will be like drinking perfume. You use rose water in Indian food a lot, which I cook a lot of, and it's best when you know it's there but you can't really taste it. Like vanilla in brownies.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Holy wow. VERY interesting concept! I like your idea, it's well thought-out. I've never messed with "rose water" but what about making a rose liqueur with vodka? Just a far-out idea. I know it works well for other herbs/spices.

All in all a very nice concept! I might be tempted to leave the lemon peel out, and stick to just the honey and the rose... JWD Honey Brown might be a bit too malt-forward to give a good representation for the taste-test experiment... but it also might work very well! (JWD HB is one of my favorite "cheap" beers!)

I'll keep thinkin' about this. I like where you're going though! (And I'm SO trying Rose shishah sometime. Thanks for the tip.)

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

UPDATE: SWMBO and I were checking out our local mall for the first time and we wandered into a store called world market. It turned out to be a pretty cool store and had a small selection of beers that are tougher to find around here (corsendonk, and even hoegaarden is tough to find, some of the DFH's, etc). Among them is a beer called HONEY AMBER ROSE! "Malt beverage brewed with honey and rose hips and honey added[sic]" It says it's brewed by indian river beverage in melbourne fl for beautiful brews in boca raton fl. Very interesting! I'm fixing to brew my honey rose blonde tomorrow and I'm going to taste this one tonight.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Seawolfe
Recipes 

I like the idea! I'll be very interested to hear how it turns out.

Any experience Ive had with rose hips (tea, chewing on them) has been more of a sharp tang. I like the idea of rose on the nose myself.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolfe View Post
I like the idea! I'll be very interested to hear how it turns out.

Any experience Ive had with rose hips (tea, chewing on them) has been more of a sharp tang. I like the idea of rose on the nose myself.
Dry rose anyone? ...Great idea Coastarine
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 AM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

As it turns out, the rose beer that I bought is actually a sour beer. The rose hips aren't very detectable. The label mentions a woman in a few places. I'm thinking it's a little play on words with roselare...I dunno. No indication that this was going to be a sour beer but it's pretty tasty.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:59 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

And, according to the website, a beer for women!

http://www.honeyamberose.com/welcome.html

Quick Reply