Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Honey to an IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
td9479
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Honey to an IPA

I am planning on adding 1 pound of honey to the IPA I am about to brew on Saturday. I've read mixed reviews on when to add. Some say to pasturize it first on the stove/oven and then add it to the primary at high krausen. Others say to add it around 10 minutes left in the boil. Nothing is too clear on the notes. I'm looking to get some of the aromatic and flavor profile more than boosting the gravity. Any tips would be greatfull.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am getting ready to do a Honey Gingerl Ale w/ about 1.5 lbs of honey. From what I have gathered online or from people who have worked with it, adding it to the end of the boil will net you the aroma factor you are looking for. No matter when you add it though, it still will boost your gravity due to the amounts of sugar in the honey. As for flavor, adding it during boil or fermentation, will pretty much kill the flavor of it I have heard. I plan on using it to bottle w/ or adding it to the keg when I pressurize it.

If you want honey flavor, try adding some honey malt. I use it all the time and think its fantastic

Secondary:Air
Drinking/Drank: Pale Ale, Sweet Saison x3, Chocolate Milk Stout, Maple Porter, Hoppy Belgian IPA, Belgian Wit, Blood Orange Wit(3rd NHC), Belgian Quad x2

My Keezer Build aka "The Monstrosity"

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd add it as the beer cooling down. Plenty of people make meads that aren't boiled at ALL. Honey is naturally impervious to bacterial infection anyway. If you boil the honey, or even pasteurize it, you will loose some flavor.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Don't boil the honey. It's not necessary as honey has no pathogens. Plus you'll drive out most of the flavor. You don't get much flavor by putting honey in beer because of the small quantities, bittering, etc. Mead is another story. Add it post boil and mix well. You can even add to secondary but don't aerate while mixing. It's gonna dry/thin the beer out so if you want to add a lot maybe add some cara-pils also to balance.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Number2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would add Honey Malt instead. A small amount though. I have never had any real honey flavor come out with the addition of honey.

Reach high, Think big, Work hard, Have fun.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
td9479
Recipes 

I already have the honey malt and cara pils on the grain bill. Looks like we are on the same page. Maybe I'll boost the quantity of the honey malt and only add a half pound of honey at flameout. It's all about trial and error. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and remember to post results.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
Don't boil the honey. It's not necessary as honey has no pathogens.
Not true. Botulism is a common pathogen in honey.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRoad View Post
Not true. Botulism is a common pathogen in honey.
Bah!! Wikipedia's page on botulism only mentions honey in regards to infants less than 1 year old, as does the WHO Organization page on botulism.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs270/en/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism

Basically, botulism spores from honey are only a problem for infants who's digestive tracts are still anaerobic. Apparently, virtually ALL people have an aerobic condition in their digestive system by 1 year of age. The botulism spore can only activate in anaerobic conditions, so its not a concern.

Please don't spread fear about honey!! It's a delicious and safe product. Well, at least don't give any of your Honey Beer to any infants.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Panky Likes This 
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Just be careful with honey malt, once you get around 5% it can get overpowering...bottle with honey to get a nice aroma within the first two months

Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
TokyoRoad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Bah!! Wikipedia's page on botulism only mentions honey in regards to infants less than 1 year old, as does the WHO Organization page on botulism.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs270/en/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism

Basically, botulism spores from honey are only a problem for infants who's digestive tracts are still anaerobic. Apparently, virtually ALL people have an aerobic condition in their digestive system by 1 year of age. The botulism spore can only activate in anaerobic conditions, so its not a concern.

Please don't spread fear about honey!! It's a delicious and safe product. Well, at least don't give any of your Honey Beer to any infants.
Spreading facts, not fear. The original comment was that there are no pathogens in honey. That is false.

Quick Reply