Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Honey Blond Recipe Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
cincybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Honey Blond Recipe Help

I'm trying to put together a recipe from some leftover ingredients from my last batch (Centennial Blond) but wanted to try to add some honey flavor. Can anyone give their feedback on this recipe, such as the amount of honey malt to use (I plan on steeping the honey malt), what to add/remove, etc???? I have no idea what I'm doing when creating a recipe. This is a 5 gallon full boil recipe. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.25 oz Centennial [8.90 %] (45 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Looks good to me. Are you thinking of adding any actual honey in addition to the honey malt? Honey malt will add some sweetness, but not the complex floral aromatics of honey.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Fat_Bastard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

give it a try, it looks OK.
It's pretty close to my blonde deception recipe for all grain that turned out great.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Looks good to me. Are you thinking of adding any actual honey in addition to the honey malt? Honey malt will add some sweetness, but not the complex floral aromatics of honey.
I wasn't planning on it but that is because I didn't think honey really added much except to dry out the beer. If I add actual honey, do I change the amount of extract or hops? I want some sweetness but I wasn't sure how it would balance with the hops.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
I wasn't planning on it but that is because I didn't think honey really added much except to dry out the beer. If I add actual honey, do I change the amount of extract or hops? I want some sweetness but I wasn't sure how it would balance with the hops.
Honey does ferment out, but if you use good quality honey and add it after fermentation it leaves a great aroma (adding pasteurized clover honey to the boil on the other hand won't get you much character).

You could back down on the extract if you wanted to keep the gravity/alcohol the same. It will dry the beer out which accentuates the hops, but you are pretty low there anyway.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I don't think I want it to dry out too much. How much honey would you recommend? Unfortunately I'm out of town this week so I don't have access to Beersmith but was hoping to put an order in to arrive by this weekend. How much would 1 lb of honey add to the OG?

I thought about altering the hop schedule a little to add some IBU's so it doesn't come out overly sweet but wasn't sure what a good balance would be.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well I just went ahead and ordered it in hopes to get it by saturday. I didn't order any honey but I figure I can pick up some local honey somewhere and if I need to change my recipe I can always stop by the LHBS.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you ordered a whole pound of honey malt, I might suggest putting all of it in if you want more residual sweetness. I just did a AG cream ale with 0.75 lb of honey malt with a slightly lower OG and slightly higher IBU's, and the flavor is still very subtle.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
If you ordered a whole pound of honey malt, I might suggest putting all of it in if you want more residual sweetness. I just did a AG cream ale with 0.75 lb of honey malt with a slightly lower OG and slightly higher IBU's, and the flavor is still very subtle.
I've always found the opposite, I get quite a bit of sweetness from pretty small additions of honey malt. Different people have different perceptions of sweetness though.

For the honey 1 lb will add ~.008 to the gravity. That is about the right amount for a subtle beer like this. Orange blossom is a great choice if you can get it.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Wouldn't you get more flavor/sweetness from mashing vs. steeping?

Adding .008 to the gravity doesn't seem to bad. The OG may be a little high for a blonde ale but fitting a style doesn't really concern me as long as it tastes good. I'll have to keep my eye out for some orange blossom honey.

Quick Reply