The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Honey Apricot Ale - Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
dr_sanch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Honey Apricot Ale - Help!

Hey everyone,

I was wondering about a certain recipe a cousin of mine wants to brew up this weekend... I'm having trouble finding a store that sells puree'd apricots aside from the baby food kind (which Ive read is NOT a good idea to use) so I was wondering if I could simply buy my own apricots and puree them myself. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Should I go organic or simply buy whichever ones I find since they'll be boiled anyway?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated as the apricots are the only ingredient I still need to find!

INGREDIENTS
2.5-3 lbs. cracked 2-row Pale malt
5 lbs. Wildflower honey
6 lbs. Light DME
1 lb. apricot puree
1.5 oz. N. Brewer hop pellets 9.0% aa
.5 oz. Cascade hop pellets 6.8% aa
Re-pitched London Ale yeast from brewery

PREPARATION
Mash Pale malt in 150-170 degree H2O for 90 minutes. Strain. Add honey, apricot and DME to boiling pot w/ water. Add N. Brewer hops at start of rolling boil. 45-60 minutes later turn off heat, add Cascade hops. Cover. Sparge into fermenter with water to make 5 gallons. Cool/chill until 80 degrees. Pitch yeast.Ferment. Either use 3/4 - 1 cup of corn sugar for priming, or force carbonate.

SPECIFICS
Style Ale
Recipe Type Partial Mash
Batch Size 5 gallons
Original Gravity 1.098
Final Gravity 1.033
Boiling Time 60 minutes
Primary Fermentation Glass 4-5 days
Secondary Fermentation Glass 9-10 days
Other Specifics Due to the high gravity and honey, the first fermentation will last from 2-5 days. Allow 9-10 days for beer to clear before bottling.

COMMENTS
at 8.5-10% alcohol, there shouldn't be much convincing necessary! The ladies like the fruity character from mostly the honey, with a nice bitterness from the hops.

the website i grabbed it on is http://tastybrew.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Are you making beer or braggot? That's a lot of honey! 1# of puree won't do squat. I used 2 cans (6.2#'s) in a 15 gallon batch and can't even taste it. Also, don't boil the honey or the puree. Add the puree to secondary and the honey at flameout.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58
Are you making beer or braggot? That's a lot of honey! 1# of puree won't do squat. I used 2 cans (6.2#'s) in a 15 gallon batch and can't even taste it. Also, don't boil the honey or the puree. Add the puree to secondary and the honey at flameout.
What poohbah58 says is true. I've made this exact recipe and it was awesome. I recommend adding the honey at flame out, ferment in primary at 68 for two weeks minimum and prepare a secondary, pour 1 can Oregon Apricot purée into the secondary and rack on top. Allow to ferment out and enjoy! For a 5 gallon batch you will get just enough apricot flavor to balance with the honey. Go easy on these, they will sneak up on you! Cheers.

Kegged: Feast of Fools (Braggot), Drunken Punkin Dunkel, Raspberry Wheat, Chocolate Cherry Porter, Oktoberfestive ale, Apfelwien, Rochefort 8 Clone, Centennial Blonde, La Fin Du Pistoles, Surly Furious, Ryed On Saison, Celebrationizator Dopplebock, Ryebock, Lemon-Lime Hefe, Chamomile Honey Wheat, Blue Ridge Moon Wit, Patersbier,

Primary: Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Cherry Brett Saison, Imperial Irish Red

Secondary: Gulden Draak, Peaches & Cream Belgian Tripel

Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
dr_sanch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBrewer View Post
What poohbah58 says is true. I've made this exact recipe and it was awesome. I recommend adding the honey at flame out, ferment in primary at 68 for two weeks minimum and prepare a secondary, pour 1 can Oregon Apricot purée into the secondary and rack on top. Allow to ferment out and enjoy! For a 5 gallon batch you will get just enough apricot flavor to balance with the honey. Go easy on these, they will sneak up on you! Cheers.
You'd recommend adding ALL the honey at flame out? Or some before and some later?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Poobah58
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
You'd recommend adding ALL the honey at flame out? Or some before and some later?
Secondary is OK but you have to be careful not to aerate the beer. Heat the honey in a microwave a bit (not too hot) and mix in while stirring gently. Try not to create foam.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
VaBrewer

Recipes 

You could do it either way. I added it all at flame out, but that was the first time I brewed it.
You could do half at flame out and half at high Krausen.

Kegged: Feast of Fools (Braggot), Drunken Punkin Dunkel, Raspberry Wheat, Chocolate Cherry Porter, Oktoberfestive ale, Apfelwien, Rochefort 8 Clone, Centennial Blonde, La Fin Du Pistoles, Surly Furious, Ryed On Saison, Celebrationizator Dopplebock, Ryebock, Lemon-Lime Hefe, Chamomile Honey Wheat, Blue Ridge Moon Wit, Patersbier,

Primary: Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter, Cherry Brett Saison, Imperial Irish Red

Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
dr_sanch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And just to confirm - you ARE using Liquid Honey, right?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
VaBrewer

Recipes 

Yes,

I used 5 lbs of wildflower honey. Set the jug in some hot water for 15-20 minutes and it will pour much easier.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
dr_sanch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBrewer View Post
Yes,

I used 5 lbs of wildflower honey. Set the jug in some hot water for 15-20 minutes and it will pour much easier.
How long would it take to pasteurize at flame out?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
dr_sanch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I've realized its going to be impossible to find Apricot Puree so I need to substitute with either fresh apricots or dried apricots (that haven't been dried with sulfur dioxide)... How many pounds of this stuff do you think I'll need to replace the puree?

Quick Reply