*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > homegrown hops ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
gremlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default homegrown hops ?s

sooooo last christmas my mother-in-law got me a lil packet of hop seeds. i've read here (and there) that you can only grow hops from rhyzomes to my dismay.

after starting the seeds indoors over the winter and spring, and then transplanting the small plants outdoors under a trellis, they have really been growing at a good rate.

right now, i have 5 foot tall hops plants growing madly on the trellis, and little purple flowers are appearing all over finally (the begining of september).

could i, would i, get any hops so late in the year? we are expected to have frost within 3-4 weeks.

if not, what can i expect next year? do i just let them die this winter and they start to grow again next spring by themselves? when are hops harvested, how long does it take into the year? are they like grapes where you leave the vines up and get a new crop every year?

i am shocked that they even grew at all this year from seeds, yet alone they are finally getting flowers now! anybody have any advice? what should i do?

barett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You probably won't get anything this year. Are they Male or Female?

Old 09-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

They die back to the root every year. And considering it's harvest time, you probably won't see any hops this year.

The reason why people grow hops from rhizomes is simple, that way you get an exact clone of a hop type. Hops from seed could be almost anything, just like apples.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #4
grnich
Recipes 

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was given some hop rhyzomes from a friend and they've grown wonderfully this year. I'll get tons this year, but I don't know what kind they are. Just plain old hops, I guess. Am I better off using these hops for bittering rather than late boil aroma hops?

Old 09-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Since you have no idea what the AA% is, but you CAN smell them, homegrown hops are best used for aroma & flavor. This is the case even when you know what kind you have, as AA% varies from year to year and location to location.

Other than an all Fresh Hop ale that is. The flavor profiles of fresh hops are so different that the exact bittering level isn't much of a consideration.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-10-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin
sooooo last christmas my mother-in-law got me a lil packet of hop seeds. i've read here (and there) that you can only grow hops from rhyzomes to my dismay.

after starting the seeds indoors over the winter and spring, and then transplanting the small plants outdoors under a trellis, they have really been growing at a good rate.

right now, i have 5 foot tall hops plants growing madly on the trellis, and little purple flowers are appearing all over finally (the begining of september).

could i, would i, get any hops so late in the year? we are expected to have frost within 3-4 weeks.

if not, what can i expect next year? do i just let them die this winter and they start to grow again next spring by themselves? when are hops harvested, how long does it take into the year? are they like grapes where you leave the vines up and get a new crop every year?

i am shocked that they even grew at all this year from seeds, yet alone they are finally getting flowers now! anybody have any advice? what should i do?

barett
Having grown hops for the last few years, I can't help but wonder if you even have hops? The reason is, I have never seen purple flowers? Maybe there are some that have purple flowers, but I haven't seen them is all I'm saying. Anyway, if you can post a pic, that would really be helpful.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
grnich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Since you have no idea what the AA% is, but you CAN smell them, homegrown hops are best used for aroma & flavor. This is the case even when you know what kind you have, as AA% varies from year to year and location to location.

Other than an all Fresh Hop ale that is. The flavor profiles of fresh hops are so different that the exact bittering level isn't much of a consideration.
Thanks!

Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
gremlin
Recipes 

of course i have no idea what kind of hops they are, the package just said hops seeds. but i do like the idea of fresh hop ale!

how do i know if they're male or female?

maybe they are more pink than purple, i'm a bit colorblind.

of course none of this matters now that we are supposed to get a frost tonight, maybe even below freezing... how hardy are hop plants? how long until after flowers until you get hops?

barrett

Old 09-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

hard for me to tell with that picture . . . get a close up (real close up) of the "flowers"

Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is my first year of growing hops (so I'm no expert) but I have to agree with the "not sure if they're hops" sentiment. Mine did not get typical "flowery" flowers at all, but rather a flower that resembled an undeveloped hop. they looked like little spiky (I say spikey but they weren't spikes - just the undeveloped petals) little balls. The "spikes" developed into the hop petals. But the leaves do look right. . .

Quick Reply