Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The Holy Grail of Session Beers! Thank you, Science!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
nosnhojm20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default The Holy Grail of Session Beers! Thank you, Science!

So after reading this article (Electrolyte-Enhanced Beer: READ HERE, it is freakin' awesome) I was curious if I could do something similar at home. Pedialyte came to mind and thought that since it was mostly water the might work. I know this wont make the most delicious beer in the world but would help me fight a hangover as once I catch a buzz I forget (don't care enough to) to hydrate .

My plan, if I ever do it as its just crazy, is to top off with pedialyte to reach the desired amount like in a typical extract brew.

My question: Does anything think that electrolytes would get killed in primary fermentation? I am no scientist but I was thinking the residual sugars could get fermented away, would leave all the electrolytes, and I would hop the heck out of it to cover off flavors.

Any feedback, thoughts won't life, etc are welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Uziyahu
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Wouldn't pedialyte add some funky flavors and weird sweeteners? They don't use sugar in pedialyte, but some sort of sweetener. Check out the link for ingredients in pedialyte.

I'm the guy from the other thread about this. We should put our heads together about this.

Good question on the electrolyte loss in primary fermentation. Perhaps adding electrolytes at bottling would do it.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
nosnhojm20
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Whats up, Other Guy? I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I hope we can keep them both going but on separate topics.

Anyway, What about mixing in some "unflavored" pedialyte? I would think at fermentation it would neutralize some flavors? Or maybe at kegging/bottling. I would think just dumping in a liter of the unflavored stuff wouldn't make a HUGE difference in something like an IPA or a Stout, something that is a palette wrecker to begin with.

Unflavored Pedialyte ingredients: "Water, Dextrose. Less than 2% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, and Zinc Gluconate."

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm20

Unflavored Pedialyte ingredients: "Water, Dextrose. Less than 2% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, and Zinc Gluconate."
In other word table salt, sugar and lime juice.

It's a nice idea but you would need to ensure that it stays in suspension once bottled or kegged. That's actually why dextrose is used. Makes the liquid dense enough to keep the salt in suspension. I think based on physical properties you could mix salt and lime juice in a session beer that was mashed toward the higher end to ensure enough sugar is present to maintain suspension. You shouldn't need as much electrolyte as a Gatorade would have, just enough to ensure water retention. Maybe 1/8 teaspoon per beer (I'm not that kind of doctor) maybe less. I'm just not sure if this could be added to the boil or if it would need to be post ferment. The salt can be added to the boil just not sure of everything else. My wife is a biochemist so ill try to run it by her when I see her.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
nosnhojm20
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I can't wait to hear what the good doctor has to say about this.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I can't wait to hear what the good doctor has to say about this.
Just checked with the wife and she briefly said you could add .5 tsp baking soda, 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 tsp salt per liter of water/wort either during the boil or post fermentation as neither will denature much. However this combo can lend to the acidic side so if you are worried about it affecting the ph of your wort then you should do it at bottling time. She also mentioned you could use agave nectar in place of the lime juice. And if you are doing this just to prevent hangovers then half those amounts of ingredients as those quantities are what you would need to replace the electrolytes lost during a vigorous workout.

Disclaimer: this is simply an educated guess. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
nosnhojm20
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Good lord, that is amazing. I can't imagine that effecting the taste that much. I may have to dabble. Thank her for me.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Good lord, that is amazing. I can't imagine that effecting the taste that much. I may have to dabble. Thank her for me.
Will do.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
dmpullen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojm20 View Post
thats .4 cup of salt alone per 5gal batch. that would have to change the taste a bit.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpullen
thats .4 cup of salt alone per 5gal batch. that would have to change the taste a bit.
3 tbs per my math unless you are wanting Gatorade concentrations you would half those ingredients to try and prevent hang overs. If you are wanting a recovery type drink then yes you are correct.

Quick Reply