Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Holy Crap!! Pliny the Elder clone at austin homebrew supply.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #21
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've passed Pliny up on more than one occasion, need to drop the cash and buy it.

Not sure why there is some negativity in this thread. Sure, you could develop a pliny clone for less. But the cost is way better than purchasing the real deal, and many people are also willing to pay more for the conveinance of having all ingredients and amounts figured out for them. No going to the LHBS with a big grain and hop bill only to find out they don't have everything you need and you have to modify or cancel the recipe. In this case, it's right there, ready to go out of the box.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #22
LoneOakDesign
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

my whole intent when i started this thread wasn't to complain about the price. i really wanted some feedback on the kit and also feedback on pliny in general. i haven't had pliny yet and have always wanted to brew a batch based on things i have read here. i don't however, want to drop over a hundred bucks on a kit that is fairly new to the market. if it recievs favorable reviews, i will absolutely buy it and try it out. i have no problem dropping my hard earned cash at austin homebrew supply. those guys have helped me out more than i care to remember. so someone buy this kit and brew it! or buy it, send it to me, and i'll brew it!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There's so much info online about that beer between what Vinny has offered up and Tasty Mc'Ds recipe that I can't imagine that their clone would be too far off.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #24
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct9335 View Post
my whole intent when i started this thread wasn't to complain about the price. i really wanted some feedback on the kit and also feedback on pliny in general. i haven't had pliny yet and have always wanted to brew a batch based on things i have read here. i don't however, want to drop over a hundred bucks on a kit that is fairly new to the market. if it recievs favorable reviews, i will absolutely buy it and try it out. i have no problem dropping my hard earned cash at austin homebrew supply. those guys have helped me out more than i care to remember. so someone buy this kit and brew it! or buy it, send it to me, and i'll brew it!
I fully understand your intent and I thank you for your support.

Forrest

Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #25
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I clicked on this thread just to find out how much this clone was going to cost. Right out where I guessed it would. That is a ton of expensive hops. I may do a IIPA some day soon but Pliny is so over the top. I can't justify it to myself to use that many hops in one beer.
Well at least not until my next harvest

Great job Forrest of making this available for the average brewer.

Craig

Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 AM   #26
pkpdogg
Recipes 

Sorry guys (special apologies to Forrest). I didn't intend to make it all so negative, and after re-reading my post, I can clearly see how I blew things out of proportion and misdirected other frustrations.

Honestly, I saw Forrest's response and just didn't think it was helpful. I read it as "stop whining and just buy the damn kit." I just expected a more helpful response from a supplier, especially on a question about his own product.

Forrest - Sorry brother. I didn't mean to be a prick. You guys have a killer business with an amazing selection. I was actually ready to place a $100 order last night, till SWMBO came home and peeped the computer screen. Hahaha! Anyway, you can expect that order within the next couple of weeks.

... back to helping out OP ...

jct9335 - Sorry for hijacking your post. Pliny is a solid beer, and you would not be disappointed. It's on tap locally all of the time, so it's not something that I'm so stoked about that I'd drop $100+ for on it. However, it's good enough that I've been checking back at MoreBeer for months in hopes that they'd get the supplies back in at the lower cost (they're my LHBS). If it weren't for the hop shortage jacking up the cost and reducing availability, I'd be buying it too. If you have never tried Pliny, I say go for it.

Mike

Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 AM   #27
LoneOakDesign
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

i'm just finishing up a revised brew system that will allow 10 gallon batches. i wanna do a few 5 gallon batches to test it out. i may do this clone as the first 10 gallon batch! keg half and bottle the other half in 22 oz bombers to age.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 AM   #28
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Have you ever read a bottle of Pliny the Elder? Russian River basically says they will beat you if you age it. Aging will kill almost all of the hop aroma and ruin the beer. Drink it relatively young to get that great flavor and aroma.

Andrew

Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 AM   #29
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
If RR growlers are still $17, about $162.
$20 including the growler and they are 67.2 OZ's I was there Sunday

Its 17 oz of hops for a 5 gal

Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #30
pete20
Recipes 

I just brewed a Pliny clone yesterday and it's bubbling away nicely right now. Paying $85 for the ingredients made for a white-knuckle brew session where every little deviation from plan seemed like an invitation to disaster :-)

The hops are what make it so expensive. In fact, the guys at my local HBS couldn't believe how many I was buying, said they'd never seen anyone use so many for a single 5 gallon batch, and clearly thought I was crazy. At over 250 IBUs (7.5 ounces for dry hopping alone) it's definitely pushing the limits of my taste buds -- and wallet.

Quick Reply