Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Holy Crap!! Pliny the Elder clone at austin homebrew supply.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #11
BuffaloSabresBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by climateboy View Post
Doesn't the OP's "" suggest he is happy with this development?
I think so.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
pkpdogg
Recipes 

I get a $4-$5 pint at Toronado in SF, not bad when you consider the markup of someone serving you. We're lucky out in Cali, ain't we, Heinz57?

McKBrew - I highly suggest trying it. Not that it's anything really spectactular ... it's just a damn solid IPA.

Forrest - I don't mean any dissrespect, because I work in Finance and understand pricing strategy when demand is high and [hop] supply is low, but $112.99 is pretty damn steep!

At some point, businesses have to start thinking about the consumers. Why do companies continue to feel it's right to maintain their profit margins over providing pricing stability for their customers? The oil industry just gave us the Dirty Sanchez while posting record profits. I can't wait till a company grabs some sack and sets the precedent of giving a crap about the little man.

Sorry, the Green Flash Imperial IPA got me all riled up! =P

Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #13
antsp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forrest is in business to make money, not to provide "pricing stability".

Ant

Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpdogg View Post
At some point, businesses have to start thinking about the consumers. Why do companies continue to feel it's right to maintain their profit margins over providing pricing stability for their customers? The oil industry just gave us the Dirty Sanchez while posting record profits. I can't wait till a company grabs some sack and sets the precedent of giving a crap about the little man.

Your kidding right?

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Remove all the options and go unmilled all-grain and it's $101.70

I'm sure a ton of the price has to be the hop bill. And as said above, the price is cheaper than buying 5 gallons of it. I don't want to put this thread in the dreaded debate forum, but Forrest is in it to make a profit so he can stay in business. The going rate for hops is what, $40 a pound or more on the homebrew scale? From the recipes that I've heard for Pliny, a pound of hops is about right. Now add in enough malt for a huge beer, and the convenience of having it all packaged and I can see why it's that expensive.

If you want to save yourself a couple bucks, search the Pliny recipe, it's out there. You can get all the ingredients yourself and make it.

If Forrest finds that nobody orders the kit, he'll either lower the price or discontinue it.

I wish people would "grab some sack" and open their wallet and pay for stuff, beer, cheese, cars, flat-screen TVs, gas, whatever. If the price is too high, save up, go without, or find another option.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I buy my hops in bulk, the Maharaja clone I did 10 gallons of cost $130 to make which works out to $65 for 5 gallons. I used *HALF* the hops you would in the Pliny. I doubt I could brew 5 gallons of Pliny clone for under $90 even if I had all the hops on hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
okstatepike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsp1 View Post
Forrest is in business to make money, not to provide "pricing stability".

Ant
^^^

What this guy said.

Kegged: None
Drinking: Everything

Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
taalhiker
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a PtE clone recipe in the Best of BYO issue with 150 clone recipes.

~14lb of grains
~17oz of hops

Hops prices seem pretty steep @ AHS.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #19
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpdogg View Post
I get a $4-$5 pint at Toronado in SF, not bad when you consider the markup of someone serving you. We're lucky out in Cali, ain't we, Heinz57?

McKBrew - I highly suggest trying it. Not that it's anything really spectactular ... it's just a damn solid IPA.

Forrest - I don't mean any dissrespect, because I work in Finance and understand pricing strategy when demand is high and [hop] supply is low, but $112.99 is pretty damn steep!

Actually, we have lowered the margin we make on hops. The kit is based on the retail of the ingredients. There are places that sell hops below my cost. There is not much I can do about that.

I do give a crap about the little man. If I didn't I wouldn't be on this forum giving exclusive deals and first word on specials. I even gave away a 42 gal conical fermenter in a contest only open to HBT members. My sack is currently grabbed.

Forrest

Last edited by Austinhomebrew; 02-03-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, by the way.

That's what she said.

Quick Reply