Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hobbit Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #41
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No, you are still a geek.

(just kidding)

OK, a brown ale using oak chips is good, herbs might be open to what would taste best. Hobbiton wasn't london, even if it was based on it, Tolkien didn't put humans in hobbiton so he must have wanted some subtle differences eh? And I don't want to brew something gross.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #42
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
No, you are still a geek.

(just kidding)

OK, a brown ale using oak chips is good, herbs might be open to what would taste best. Hobbiton wasn't london, even if it was based on it, Tolkien didn't put humans in hobbiton so he must have wanted some subtle differences eh? And I don't want to brew something gross.
i guess a good idea now would be to see if they talk about food recipes in the text, and what spices/herbs they may have used. I suspect some rosemary possibly found its way into their taters!

I will probably still put a small amount of fuggles or east kent in mine, i like to believe the hobbits had some hops around and ol gaffer probably had a few vines in his garden. I need to dig my copies out from the moving boxes that are STILL unpacked!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #43
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Perhaps his works need a rereading with this perspective in mind (oh boy this is going to be a long project!)

Scan for mention of herbs and brews. Of course, Tolkien often used old names or invented his own for things. Could be alot of research for somebody!

As to oak chips, why not. Probably would be sour as well. A mild historically refered to a fresh beer that had not yet gotten sour with age. Supposedlyt they were up to 8% abv so they weren't milds in the sense of todays terms.

I still think investing gruit ales is the way to go. Beers like browns and milds in todays terms were not really named as such from what I understand. I don't think you can start with a modern style to do this.

Then again, it is all about a fantasy world in the end...

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #44
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Dont Merry and Pippin sing about drinking brown ale in their hometown or something?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #45
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy

Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #46
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
I am missing something here. What, his hair is BROWN? Oh, is he the obese wow player? Gotcha.

We need an herb that would make it bitter, or we could pretend that they had hops. I personally don't want a psychoactive beer, that just sounds dangerous and probably illegal.

The dwarves preferred stout. Interesting.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #47
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting thread! This is just the sort of nerdiness that I can get into. Incidentally, I know that both C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were down for some ale. I did my philosophy degree under a professor who did his degree (Lit/Phil) under Lewis. I forget the name of their little group, but they were famous for taking long hikes that always ended at an old fashioned type pub where they loved traditional ales. You can totally see how that comes through in LOTR. I'm inspired. Next to some Middle Earth brews. Is it just me, or does it look like Saruman must have had all those orcs brewing some nasty BMC all industrial-style under his tower?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #48
JoSeR

Recipes 

I seem to remember much more drinking going on in the hobbit like when they were floating down the river on the kegs as well as the party in the beginning

Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #49
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSeR
I seem to remember much more drinking going on in the hobbit like when they were floating down the river on the kegs as well as the party in the beginning
That was wood elf wine, no? Or was it beer?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #50
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
Interesting thread! This is just the sort of nerdiness that I can get into. Incidentally, I know that both C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were down for some ale. I did my philosophy degree under a professor who did his degree (Lit/Phil) under Lewis. I forget the name of their little group, but they were famous for taking long hikes that always ended at an old fashioned type pub where they loved traditional ales. You can totally see how that comes through in LOTR. I'm inspired. Next to some Middle Earth brews. Is it just me, or does it look like Saruman must have had all those orcs brewing some nasty BMC all industrial-style under his tower?
Lol
SARUMAN: "Oh my dark minions! Have you stolen the rice and the tiny bit of grain for our brew! And you there! Yes you! did you steal the 2 ounces of hops to put in our 8 million gallon brew kettle?"

I am with you Joser, I think that the clues may be in The Hobbit, not the LOTR. I hope to take a look tinight.

Quick Reply