Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hobbit Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #21
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://lotro.warcry.com/db/recipe/727-Apprentice's%20Ale

Dead end, but someone was thinking at least.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #22
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I suspect they would use hops, not herbs.
I disagree. Early english ales and the rest of the continent were made with many herbs other than hops. in fact there was a lot of resistance to the use of hops. I believe I read they even passed a law in london to prevent their usage. According to a book I have been reading. "Sacred Herbal Healing beers"

I think you should research Gruit ales. They were brewed with may herbs but mostly 3 main herbs. Myrica gale, yarrow, and wild marsh rosmary.

As a side note. In the context of Tolkein, The author of aforementioned book suggests that the dwarves in Tolkeins books were based on the pictish peoples of Scotland.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #23
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I suspect they would use hops, not herbs. Tolkien tended to use English culture as a base for a lot of the customs of the hobbits. So like everyone was saying, I bet it was some sort of English mild or brown, but, hobbits liked to be happy, so I suspect the ABV was a bit high. A pipe, and a warm ya up beer. Now, if Bilbo, or a female hobbit was brewing, there might be some spices or herbs in there, but when I think of the gaffer, I think of a traditionalist who would stick with the barley and hops simple ale. But what about yeast? I doubt they cultured yeast back then and probably had a slight sourness to the ale.
Agreed, with out real refridgeration, wild yeast and then yeast cakes would have been cultivated and kept going.

On BYO there is an interesting article on a brewery re-creating some old recipes (as in ancient).

The Gaffer was an earthy old gardener, that's why I thought herbs or ginger or something like that, but maybe not!
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",

Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
I disagree. Early english ales and the rest of the continent were made with many herbs other than hops. in fact there was a lot of resistance to the use of hops. I believe I read they even passed a law in london to prevent their usage. According to a book I have been reading. "Sacred Herbal Healing beers"

I think you should research Gruit ales. They were brewed with may herbs but mostly 3 main herbs. Myrica gale, yarrow, and wild marsh rosmary.

As a side note. In the context of Tolkein, The author of aforementioned book suggests that the dwarves in Tolkeins books were based on the pictish peoples of Scotland.
I have been schooled! Very cool, I didn't know any of that. Now, the dwarves were probably making scottish style ales, but I don't think the hobbits learned a lot of their ways from the dwarves. In fact, I don't think they even liked the dwarves that much.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.promash.com/recipes/recipes_ales.html

These people went before us, but I couldn't open the recipes. They are halfway down the page, Lothlorien, and then prancing pony.

Schooled indeed Laddy! Lol. I can't help but think that herb beers were gross though.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
No reason to be a complete ass. I'm a 24 year old, married to a hotty, college graduate, won't play WoW, homebrewer that ****ing LOVES tolkien. So back off.

I think the beer is a killer idea, I'm gonna think about it a little more and post my thoughts.

Hahaha, hit a nerve did I? I do love a hole in one!

ugh

Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #27
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle
Hahaha, hit a nerve did I? I do love a hole in one!
I'll hold my tongue, mods. but, please stay out of this thread Drizzle.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #28
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I'll hold my tongue, mods. but, please stay out of this thread Drizzle.
For the record, I read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit about once every 2 years. I just couldn't resist.

ugh

Old 12-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #29
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I will pose a hypothesis. Do with it as you will. I propose that humans in middle earth perhaps drank hopped new-fangled beers while the other inhabitants being more in tune with ancient ways and connected with the earth brewed ancient brews.

As to how they taste I dunno. There are many recipes in the book I spoke of, and apparently their are societies of hobbyists who have recreated these. According to the author these herbal beers were actually more intoxicating, potent and at times psychotropic in nature depending on the herbs used.

I think this is a pretty interesting idea. Given the current hop shortage it would be an apropos time to experiment perhaps.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
According to the author these herbal beers were actually more intoxicating, potent and at times psychotropic in nature depending on the herbs used.

Hence the Church monopoly I have read.

ugh

Quick Reply