Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hobbit Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #261
lowtones84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Was just re-reading recently and I forgot that the dwarves ask for ales and porters when they assemble at Bilbo's home for the adventure. Has me wanting to make a porter now, even though it's summer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #262
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You could look for hints in the food they ate. I don't remember specifics, but I believe there are details of Bilbo's going-away feast- food is probably mentioned. It might give some idea of tastes they liked- was their food spicy, sour, sweet, etc?

They would almost certainly have added seasonal fruits, herbs, veggies, maybe even some of whatever they put in their pipes...

Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #263
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

More than likely the ale and porter that Tolkien put into his stories were meant to duplicate the beers that Tolkien himself drank in England at that time. He was quite fond of hanging out with his buds to discuss writing. I'm sure they had a few glasses to go along with their pipes. He was known to be addicted to his pipe and has mentioned hating the habit.

At any rate, you can bet that Hobbit brew was the finest sort of ale you can imagine. Only the finest ingredients and loved throughout the land. I'm betting the Dwarves loved their dark beer, the Elves had something like a golden strong ale when they were not drinking wine, and Hobbits had Pale Ale and for special occasions, IPA (But they called them EPA, since they were more highly hopped to survive the long journey to Esgaroth.)

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #264
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
(But they called them EPA, since they were more highly hopped to survive the long journey to Esgaroth.)
Masterful

Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #265
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It's got to be strong, given the nature of hobbits. It's got to be of big body and it's got to finish sweet I would think. A strong mild(gayles festival mild) of an old ale I woulod think, with herbs.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #266
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am so ashamed... I'm only finding this thread now. I don't have much to add that has not been already said, but I have to say that I agree that the basic ale of the Shire would have to be a Mild. But other options would be there, especially for special occasions. Some kind of bitter, porter, and strong ale (barleywine or even something like a Scotch Ale) would have been available. The Shire and Hobbit culture was all about early 20th century English country life (even though the mythology would place it millennia earlier). Plan your ales accordingly...

“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #267
sieglere
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's a name suggestion: Sharkey's Delight. Referring to how Sauramon delighted in pipe weed and ale from the shire, yet thought very little of the hobbits and their power. In the same way, you'll delight in the beer only to be smacked in the face a little later by all the boozeahol.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #268
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I know that others disagree, but the fact that dwarves call for stout (an ale) and ale (an.......ale) separately makes me think Tolkien was not very knowledgeable. There was a bitter or brown or something at his local pub called "the ale" for short and he thought ale to be a specific style.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #269
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 189

I feel like terminology was probably just different then. People around the pubs he was hanging out at must have used the same terminology I would figure. And just to be nitpicky, it's ale and porter It made sense to me when I read it, ale to me probably just means pale ale, or perhaps mild or brown.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #270
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I know that others disagree, but the fact that dwarves call for stout (an ale) and ale (an.......ale) separately makes me think Tolkien was not very knowledgeable. There was a bitter or brown or something at his local pub called "the ale" for short and he thought ale to be a specific style.
Interesting point. Makes me think of back before I knew anything about beer, I used to go into bars and simply ask for "lager." I mainly drank Yuengling, and I knew that was lager. But beyond that, I had no idea the difference between lager and ale, or that there were different types of either.

In fact, I remember a time when the term "ale" seemed old fashioned to me, and something I didn't think anyone drank anymore.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Quick Reply