*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hobbit Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
I seem to recall at least one other scene where Merry and Pippin drink beer.

Its after Isengard has fallen to the Ents. Merry and Pippin are left at a destroyed gatehouse and find some bacon, tobacco, and I belive, some beer. I think they have a discussion comparing it to Shire beer. Might be some clues there...

Its been a long time since I read this, so I can't recall clearly.

It might be in Unfinished Tales and not in the main text of LoTR.

When I get home from work tonight I'll see if I can find it.
At first I was thinking about getting ideas from the movie by seeing if the beer they drank splashed over their mugs and see what color it was, but then I realized, that Tolkien had nothing to do with the movies art direction, so it would be of little relevance, I think I will stick to searching out ideas from the text itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
At first I was thinking about getting ideas from the movie by seeing if the beer they drank splashed over their mugs and see what color it was, but then I realized, that Tolkien had nothing to do with the movies art direction, so it would be of little relevance, I think I will stick to searching out ideas from the text itself.
I'm talking about the books, not the movies. I don't think the movies would be reliable on this point, either.

Check out Unfinished Tales if you haven't already. There is a lot of fun and interesting stuff in there that Tolkien wrote that didn't make it into the final LoTR books.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
I'm talking about the books, not the movies. I don't think the movies would be reliable on this point, either.
My bad, the word "scene" I always relate to films. I never think about how it's used in books as well.

Last edited by Ó Flannagáin; 12-03-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
No reason to be a complete ass. I'm a 24 year old, married to a hotty, college graduate, won't play WoW, homebrewer that ****ing LOVES tolkien. So back off.
I thought he meant the WoW comment in jest, I was LOLing..... I'm surrounded by WoW players though... I never made it past Lv 35.... I lack attention span.

I need a homebrewing video game.

Anyways, I would think that a Middle Earth beer might be something close to an English Old Ale or a Mild.... both are fairly historic styles. Herbs will be difficult to estimate, though, because of the differences between our worlds.....

Just found through Wiki that the Prancing Pony was where the practice of smoking pipe-weed began, and then spread through Middle Earth. Maybe that's the secret ingredient?

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I don't remember the books getting into much detail about the drink, but I haven't read them since I started brewing. If there are any hints, they shouldn't be hard to find since the references would be in the first few chapters.

I'm a bit of a LoTR geek myself and would enjoy brewing something in hobbit style. Let me know if you find anything interesting.

Oh, and Tolkien's sons penned the Simerillian. Haven't read those yet, but will eventually.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #16
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes I remember them drinking a lot actually. They did find some longbottom leaf as I recall after the sacking of Isengard. As for the beer, I bet a google search would turn up some results.

As for HP, sorry if I spoke harshly, the books must be decent and the movies are decent enough. They were all written too recently, and there are too many 8 year old girls reading HP, it is too trendy for me to take seriously. Silly I know but I can't help it.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #17
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle
There has to be a morbidly obese mid-30's guy somewhere who will pry himself away from WoW and be able to answer your question.

Quote:
No reason to be a complete ass.
IB4TL.........

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

I suspect they would use hops, not herbs. Tolkien tended to use English culture as a base for a lot of the customs of the hobbits. So like everyone was saying, I bet it was some sort of English mild or brown, but, hobbits liked to be happy, so I suspect the ABV was a bit high. A pipe, and a warm ya up beer. Now, if Bilbo, or a female hobbit was brewing, there might be some spices or herbs in there, but when I think of the gaffer, I think of a traditionalist who would stick with the barley and hops simple ale. But what about yeast? I doubt they cultured yeast back then and probably had a slight sourness to the ale.

Last edited by Ó Flannagáin; 12-03-2007 at 03:17 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
...They were all written too recently, and there are too many 8 year old girls reading HP, it is too trendy for me to take seriously. Silly I know but I can't help it.
lol, agreed, I thought my wife was such a nerd when she would read a whole HP book in a day or two, but then I picked up the one that came out before the last one and read it on a whim and kind of got sucked in. Rowlings a pretty good storyteller. I would NEVER call them classics, but a good read nonetheless.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
IB4TL
aww, come on. Let's keep this one friendly from here on out, no need to lock it. This could get interesting. That IB4TL runes image made me laugh.

Quick Reply