Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hobbit Brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #171
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by knights of Gambrinus
Or a mead. Meads and honey are reputed as increasing peoples longevity.
As yes, we know that meads are quite tasty now, but back in the day meads were often considered to be the "lesser" beverage, as honey was often a relatively cheap source of sugar, and treated as such. The upper classes preferred both beer and fine wine to it, although as you mentioned it was respected for medicinal value. Here's a good, short history of mead from my local brewer's Guild . The Norse are of course an exception to this, they absolutely loved the stuff, but I don't think they got a mention in LotR.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #172
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
Me too. Because of this thread I have decided to do another read of The Hobbit followed by the LOTR. I'll be keeping a close eye out for references to beer, ale, porter and any other beer styles. In the first chapter of The Hobbit, as has already been pointed out, some of the dwarves took ale, and others took porter. Since Bilbo supplied them, it would seem that both were brewed in Hobbiton so that porter is not exclusively a dwarvish style.
Lol, hell of a good point! Bilbo was pretty wealthy, he could have had casks shipped, but it seems unlikely that they would come from any further than Bree.

I am re-reading them too!

Anyone who likes the Harry Potter books should read Tolkien. D&D, HP and damn near every fantasy made since owe a lot to tolkien.

Anybody seen an ad for "In the Name of the King"? It might as well be the two towers part 2. What a shamles hack job!
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #173
Oakwoodforge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAg
More comments:

What are you going to use as the secret ingrediant in Ent Wash that makes you grow taller? Human Growth Hormone?
No HGH thats for sure, I was planning on just using the honey, it is after all natures "Superfood "

Jens

Old 12-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #174
hoffmeister
Recipes 

Looks pretty good to me Jens-nice and light, refreshing, but with some character. Out of curiosity, what sort of OG are you expecting for that? Also, where do you get birch syrup? I think its a great touch, but I never knew that was something you could actually buy.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #175
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon

Anyone who likes the Harry Potter books should read Tolkien. D&D, HP and damn near every fantasy made since owe a lot to tolkien.

As long as we are pimpin authors check out David Eddings as well.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #176
Oakwoodforge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm shooting for a 1.040-1.048-ish OG , You can order Birch syrup online from several places like http://www.alaskabirchsyrup.com/albipr.html , I get mine from a local Amish general store for about 1/2 of what that website charges.

I had originally put down 2 lbs of birch syrup, but tasted the stuff last night- wow! intense flavor. I'm going to reduce it to 8 oz, and add a touch of maple syrup to keep with the Tree theme. I've bumped the DME to 3 lbs to make up the difference.

Jens

Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 AM   #177
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryA

As long as we are pimpin authors check out David Eddings as well.
Hahaha, I thought I was the only guy who read his work. He is pretty good and worth a read. But for my money, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series takes the cake, especially the first volume. Jordan has a beautiful writing style that makes it both entertaining, moving, and a fully visceral experience.

Back on topic:

I'm curious as to how birch tastes...Perhaps I'll buy one of those birch beer extracts and give it a taste .

Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #178
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hmmmmm, not seriously, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Birch syrup in Treebeards ale = cannibalism

Lol, I like the recipe.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 12-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #179
bikegeek
Recipes 

18 pages is a lot to go through, so I apologize if this has been brought up.

[snip] I see that it has.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #180
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I have little more than passing interest in this thread, but I'm quite impressed with the imaginative approach here. What a fantastic idea for Tolkien fans.

I did a quick Google search and did come up with a link I haven't seen posted yet. It's an excerpt from an NPR bit about Tolkien entitled, Grabbing a Beer with Tolkien. To save you the disappointment, Mr. Keyser "can't remember what Mr. Tolkien ordered." Still, I found it an interesting segment.

Quick Reply