Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hitachino Nest Red rice ale and Koji?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #31
RexlerLepp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

While this thread hasn't had any real activity in about a year, I am curious if there has been any updates in this area. Has anyone had any success? What was their process? Recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #32
ErlendA
Recipes 

I am making a similar beer in a couple of weeks. Recipe (50L batch)

5 kg Pilsner malt
3 kg Wheat malt
3 kg Red rice
0.5 kg Cara red

1.5 kg dry light extract
0.5 kg table sugar

Yeast: WLP705 Sake
Hops: 12 g Warrior (17%) 90 min
50 g East Kent Goldings (4.4%) 5 min

Preboil rice for 30 min. This will make it accessible for usual mashing.

Mashing: 20 min 62 celsius, 40 min 65 celsius, 20 min 71 deg celsius, 10 min 78 deg celsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexlerLepp View Post
While this thread hasn't had any real activity in about a year, I am curious if there has been any updates in this area. Has anyone had any success? What was their process? Recipes?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #33
ErlendA
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe last wednesday. Brewday conclusions: I believe one needs a much larger proportion of red rice in order to get that very red colour. Perhaps as much as 50%. I also think that such a large proportion may result in problems such as stuck mash.

The wort, however, got a lot of flavour components from the red rice, and I believe that the beer will turn out very interesting.

I made a relatively large starter with the sake yeast, and it appears that it does not make for a very reddish colour in the beer.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 50

From what I've read I'm not sure that red rice = red color. It seems the pinkish hue of the beer is from the Sake yeast, but not all Sake yeasts impart this color specifically. I would recommend trying Wyeast's Sake strain if you can find it and trying that out (it is a different strain from the WLP705).

And if all else fails you can always add a very small portion of roasted barley/roasted grains to the grist.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
ErlendA
Recipes 

To be honest, the colour is not that important to me - I just found it nifty. I am more interested in seeing how this beer will compare to the Hitachino - my variant is less alcoholic and without flaked barley.

I am more than happy if the direction of the flavour is in that of the Hitachino one. I will try to post here once I've sampled it.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I really need to revisit this idea, from what I gathered some alcoholic beverages in China have been made with red yeast rice, these bugs make a red-purple color on rice they are eating.

image-989937457.jpg

This is the stuff I fermented with, it kicked off a TON of diacytal, but I was using it as a primary fermentation. I think the trick is to steam some rice an use the red yeast as a Koji over night, then add it to the mash, or mix it with an active fermentation of the beer.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #37
bgroins
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErlendA View Post
I brewed this recipe last wednesday. Brewday conclusions: I believe one needs a much larger proportion of red rice in order to get that very red colour. Perhaps as much as 50%. I also think that such a large proportion may result in problems such as stuck mash.

The wort, however, got a lot of flavour components from the red rice, and I believe that the beer will turn out very interesting.

I made a relatively large starter with the sake yeast, and it appears that it does not make for a very reddish colour in the beer.
I was in Japan about two weeks ago and went to the Hitachino Brewery. I was lucky enough to bump into the owner, Toshiyuki Kiuchi, at the brewpub at the train station. I was pretty hammered from trying to drink every one of their ~15 beers before I started chatting with him and his friends. Anyway, I did manage to get out of him that the red rice to malt ratio is 40/60 (40% red rice). Sorry I didn't get any more details for you.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #38
TheDemonSlick
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hey, I'm doing a red yeast rice ferment right now. Red Yeast Rice actually doesn't contain any yeast, but is a type of Koji in and of itself. Red Koji, or Beni-Koji. The dried rice has monascus purpureas mold. (Most Japanes Koji uses Aspergillus Oryzae mold, which does the same thing.) When you add this in your ferment don't steam it or you'll kill it. This mold converts starches in your rice or grain to sugars by producing an amylase enzyme. The yeast you add then converts the sugars to ethanol. As the mold propogates in your ferment it will turn it red. Like, really really red. The yeast and the mold work together to make sweet sweet booze. And Chinese Red Yeast Rice costs about 3-4 dollars a pound in the shops in Boston's Chinatown. You can probably talk them down a bit. I have a thread in ingredients about it, mine is going to be Akaisake or Chinese red rice wine, but it's the same idea.
Cheers!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #39
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Thanks for the info, I really need to try this out again, maybe on a small scale 1gallon batch.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #40
BonsaiBrewa
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Glad to see some activity on this one again! Found this one a couple years ago when I first tried the Nest's Red Rice Ale.
I just stumbled onto the "Making Traditional Rice Wine..." thread and it got me interested in this again. I'm only on page 16...out of over 160!... and wondering about the possibility of combining the normal beer brewing process with a little of the wine process, but using red rice yeast with (or instead of) the yeast balls they use for the wine.
Anyway, I've got quite a few more pages to go on the wine thread, but getting excited about trying this!

Quick Reply