Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hitachino Nest Red rice ale and Koji?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Awesome thread! Keep going man!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #12
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Subscribed...love the Red Rice beer, they have it at a local noodle restaurant (that kinda sucks) but the beer sorta makes up for it...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
elcerritonoob
Recipes 

I love this beer. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

BTW have you seen this: Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale | GreatBrewers.com

I'm not sure how the admin at greatbrewers got all this info, but they might be worth emailing for more clues...

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
ramz7887
Recipes 

thats cool I'm gonna go to the store tonight and buy some of this beer, and hopefully try your idea out.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm you have me interested enough, I'm going to go buy a few bottles. If I like the first one, I'll culture the yeast out of the second.

Keep us posted, I want to know how this turns out.

Also, the darker beer on the right... that's from the yeast right?

Also, it does seem that they use rice. From the greatbrewers website and Kiuchi's.
"Complex sake like flavors with malt sweet notes. Hints of strawberries in the nose and palate. An intriguing mix of sake, malt , and bitter notes in the finish"

While the malts don't list rice(which is not a malt anyways), I'm sure it's in there. I think if I tried this, I'd just go with flaked rice.

Also, wtf is up with the $250 for the yeast? Any reasoning for that when you can just go culture it anyways?

Last edited by z987k; 07-20-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Tasting day

I've had the beers going side by side in the primary for 11 days now, so I got out the long pipette and pulled some of of each to check the gravity, and they are both down the to where they should be 1.010.

It interesting though, how different the two beers looked in the beginning, but as the fermentation went on they began to look similar again in the carboy. But when I put the tow beer's side by side in a glass you can see the difference. The red yeast fermented beer has a vary slight haze, but I do not really see a pink hue.

The flavor of the two beers is drastically different, and I feel the Red Yeast beer definitely has a berry like note and aroma and a greater ester profile, though it is vary subtle and definitely not like a wit,but its there.

The cal-ale only beer , is super clean, no ester or other flavors that are in the 50/50 red yeast blend. and I'm vary glad I did a longer boil because there is just the slightest hint of DMS that you would expect in an all Pils based beer, and any shorter of a boil might have resulted in too much DMS. As well the bitterness of both beers is the same.

I will leave the beers in the Primary for about two more weeks before kegging and carbonating to about 2.5%CO2.

I'm not such a good photographer, but the beer's look a lot lighter in person.
p7230001.jpg

p7230002.jpg

p7230003.jpg

I think the next step, will be to use Rice, and to use the Yeast I captured from the beer. I do think is I can figure out how to do it I would like to use the Koji mold on the rice before fermentation...May be this fall i can get some time to try it!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
thantos

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great job thanks for the pictures!

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
Bsquared

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post

Also, the darker beer on the right... that's from the yeast right?

Also, it does seem that they use rice. From the greatbrewers website and Kiuchi's.
"Complex sake like flavors with malt sweet notes. Hints of strawberries in the nose and palate. An intriguing mix of sake, malt , and bitter notes in the finish"

While the malts don't list rice(which is not a malt anyways), I'm sure it's in there. I think if I tried this, I'd just go with flaked rice.

Also, wtf is up with the $250 for the yeast? Any reasoning for that when you can just go culture it anyways?
Yes I think the darker brew was due to yeast flocculation, where the lighter beer has more yeast in suspension where the darker had more clumps of yeast.

I agree they rice is in there some where, but I don't know if its mashed in, or if it's exposed to Koji mold like a sake is.

250 for a dried yeast sample!!! but this is the place where Laboratories go to get bugs, so they need to know they are 100% pure, so your paying for UBER quality control. It's funny the the folks from white labs directed me to them, but I was using my Lab's email account so they might have thought I could get a sample from them.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM   #19
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Yes I think the darker brew was due to yeast flocculation, where the lighter beer has more yeast in suspension where the darker had more clumps of yeast.

I agree they rice is in there some where, but I don't know if its mashed in, or if it's exposed to Koji mold like a sake is.

250 for a dried yeast sample!!! but this is the place where Laboratories go to get bugs, so they need to know they are 100% pure, so your paying for UBER quality control. It's funny the the folks from white labs directed me to them, but I was using my Lab's email account so they might have thought I could get a sample from them.
I don't think they do use koji... isn't that what this specific strain of yeast is for. From the great brews site I would take it as, there is a cereal mash of some sort for the rice which breaks the type B sugars(don't know what those really are) into type A's which that sake yeast can handle.

Either way you don't need to use koji to add sugar to beer with rice. BMC does it.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #20
Bsquared

Recipes 

Honestly, the Red rice yeast is a BIG swag (Scientific wild ass guess), but it seemed like a good candidate for the color profile of the beer.

As for the flavor, Koji is used mainly for enzymatic starch conversion in sake manufacturing, and is not necessary for a barley mash, because the barley has all the necessary enzymes for the conversion of starch to simple fermentables. Although this is the predominate use of koji in the sake making process, the koji like molds in cheeses imparts flavor in to the sake.

At least for what I have gathered and I am no expert (at any thing by far) some sakes ,that the rice is left on the koji for up to a couple months, will be A). vary dry because of all the fermentable sugar.
B). have a pungent flavor.

so that has me to believe there might be a Koji step in the brewing of this beer.

Quick Reply