I don't know
what Shaun is doing up there, but I do like it. I took a trip up last month and was very impressed.
I haven't yet attempted a clone, but I do have some suggestions:
- 2-row and Crystal only. I might add some carapils for head retention, but I'll probably go 2-row and C-40 to get to 13.5 Plato.
- Mash 153-154 for some decent body.
- Yeast is probably a fairly (but not completely) neutral english strain, methinks (not US-05/1056/001). I have propogated a pitch from a bottle of Everett, but I don't know what it is.
- I don't think there's a 60 minute hop addition. I think there's some kind of combination of FWH and 30-20min addition to achieve the bitterness. To my palate, the bitterness was very smooth and spread across the mouth. In my experience, Columbus is a delightful, but very aggressive hop at 60+ min. Edward doesn't taste like an 85 ibu beer to me (Dale's Pale Ale, for example, is 65 but far more bitter). Differing schools of thought on how to calculate IBU could be to blame.
- Lots of late hops. Probably flameout, whirlpool and certainly dry hops.
- Water is important. Probably pretty low across the board, but moderate Chloride and moderate-high Sulfate