Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > highest abv can get with dry yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
roder_60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default highest abv can get with dry yeast

I've brewed about 7 batches thus far, some with dry yeast (usually muntons) and some with liquid strands. My results have generally been mixed which I attribute more to my inexperience than anything. As a result, I've been trying to concentrate more on cost effective recipes while I learn the tricks of the trade and so recently I've been brewing only with muntons dry yeast and frankly, the results have all been good. My question is, I'm looking to start dabbling in some new recipe ideas and want to try some higher gravity beers, will the muntons dry still work for say, a barleywine, an imperial stout, or even a mead? Is there generally a certain abv or gravity level where dry yeasts just can't survive/work? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It depends how you define high gravity. If you're wanting to do 7-11% beers, then you can use a dry strain but you'll need to pitch 2 or 3 times the normal amount. If you're wanting 12%+ brews then you might be reaching the limits in which the yeast can function properly. Check with the manufacturer for specific details on the particular strain of yeast that you are using.

I used Nottingham on the IIPA that I did recently. I rehydrated 2 packs and it took it from 1.090 to 1.018 in 4 days.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
solidghost
Recipes 

higher alcohol content, try those wine yeast. they can handle higher alcohol content without dying.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
batesjer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidghost
higher alcohol content, try those wine yeast. they can handle higher alcohol content without dying.
Uh, don't use wine yeast, unless you want to make wine . . . or Edwort's Apfelwein, which is wine.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

FWIW...Safale us05 pumped out ~13% on a mead I just did.

That was after maxing out on yeast energizer/nutrient and aerating the crud outta the must.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Munton's isn't suited for higher gravity ales. It that would leave you with very high final gravities. It is a low attenuation yeast best suited for extract with cane sugar recipes. Munton's Gold would do a better job, as would Nottingham or S-05.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Southwood

Recipes 

I was going to use two packs of S-04 on an upcoming barleywine. Any thoughts?

Also pouring: Weizen-bock, Solstice Ale '06

Old 02-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwood
What ABV are you looking to reach?

Liquid strains of Whitbread ale yeast poop out around 10% and I don't know what exactly 04's tollerance is. S33 is good to 11.5% per Fermentis' website.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidghost
This isn't good advice for making a higher ABV beer. As someone else mentioned, if you want to make wine, use wine yeast, if you want to make beer, use beer yeast. Otherwise, you beer won't have a very good flavor profile.

Look into using the belgian strains of Safeale, like T-58 and T33. While not quite as cheap as Munton's there's still very reasonable, will tolerate higher alcohol levels.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwood
Those english strains don't attenuate like the american strains. I'd go with S-05.

Quick Reply