Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > High OG Fruit Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Yukon_Skiers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High OG Fruit Beer

So my wife has requested that I make a fruit type beer. I want to try an accommodate her request since she is the one who got me started brewing and has been very supportive of my fast growing addiciton to homebrewing.

So my thought was, if I am going to have a fruity beer sitting around, how can I step up the ABV? I was thinking of making a blonde ale then rack to secondary with some strawberries or something like that.

I know one fairly easy way to boost the ABV would be to dump a crap ton of corn sugar or something similar near the end of the boil. With it being a fruity beer, I wouldn't mind as much if it turned out sweet.

What do you guys think? Is something along this thought process even feasible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon_Skiers View Post
I know one fairly easy way to boost the ABV would be to dump a crap ton of corn sugar or something similar near the end of the boil. With it being a fruity beer, I wouldn't mind as much if it turned out sweet.
that would be the opposite of sweet. corn sugar is 100% fermentable so it'll dry out your beer. what you're describing sounds close to a tripel

Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Yukon_Skiers
Recipes 

I am clearly new to this whole brewing thing. You just blew my mind. haha Looks like I have more research in my future.

If anyone can point me towards some good material of making a high ABV fruit beer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Gordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since your new i assume your doing extract kits correct? What if you did 2-extract kits 10gal worth but only add enough water so your fermenting 6-7gal worth. My thinking the increase fermentables for a 10gal batch with the reduce water volume of 6-7gal fement would increase the ABV, just be sure you have a large enough yeast to ferment everything out. Do the experts think this would work?

Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

theres nothing really that wrong with the initial plan, except that it wouldnt be that sweet, it'd be like a belgian tripel. more extract would be a better source to raise the abv. you could do either and then back-sweeten with some lactose and maybe get some kind of berries n cream action going

Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Yukon_Skiers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
theres nothing really that wrong with the initial plan, except that it wouldnt be that sweet, it'd be like a belgian tripel. more extract would be a better source to raise the abv. you could do either and then back-sweeten with some lactose and maybe get some kind of berries n cream action going

Thanks for the input. Good advice.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Yukon_Skiers
Recipes 

I wasn't really looking for it to be a sweet tasting beer. My knowledge is still limited, so I assumed a ton of sugar would make it sweet. haha

Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

well yes and no. simple sugars, like corn sugar, will be gobbled up by the yeast and dry it out. complex sugars, like those in crystal malts, may not be able to and sweeten it

Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Or use a lower attenuating yeast. It will leave more body as well. I do a 7% cherry ale.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The key to fruit beer is 8-10 pounds of Fruit Per 5 gallons of beer, That's alot of fruit. I find that Rhubarb with a little raspberry, are all the real fruit I can afford for a 10 gallon batch. There are other sources such as concentrated cherry juice.

There is also a type of fruit beer based on extracts, you get a fruit aroma with a beer taste that way.

Quick Reply