Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hibiscus Saison-Feedback?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
fivepoundpossum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Hibiscus Saison-Feedback?

i've never made a saison or used hibiscus before, but i thought i'd give it a try. how does this recipe sound?

grains/extract
.25 lb honey malt
.5 lb munich malt
2 lbs flaked wheat
6.25 lbs breiss pilsner liquid malt extract
1.5 lbs light dry malt extract

hops
1 oz centennial (60 min)
1 oz east kent goldings (15 min)
1 oz centennial (flameout)

"dry hop" after primary w/2 oz dried hibiscus flowers

cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
hopsalot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have had good results when i added the floweres to the mash, i Used two whole flowers right off the plant. I would add them at flame out for this recipe

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Looks pretty good. I like my Saisons dry so I would consider a little less extract and adding some sugar to help dry it out. But that is my taste.

The hibiscus dry hop sounds interesting. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
fivepoundpossum
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

interesting idea about using the fresh flowers. unfortunately, i'll only have access to the dried sepals available at the local mexican tienda, which are tasty nonetheless.

i do like the idea of drying it out with sugar. i could see the "cidery" flavors actually working with the whole. how much would you suggest? thanks!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
i do like the idea of drying it out with sugar. i could see the "cidery" flavors actually working with the whole. how much would you suggest? thanks!
I looked in my brew log and most of the saions I have brewed are in to 1.060-1.065 range. They all used 1 lb of sugar. You did not mention the yeast but I use 3711 and it usually takes them down to the 1.004 range. Nice and dry. YUM

I will be interested to see how your brew turns out. Sounds tasty.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
fivepoundpossum
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

thanks! i'll swap out the DME for 1 lb of sugar.

how long have you aged your saisons for? i've seen people say they should sit in bottles for at least 3 months...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

They do change with age but are good after they carb up. They do not change a dramaticaly as Belgians but the change is more subtle.

I usually put half in 12 oz bottles and half in 22 oz bottles. I start to drink the 12 oz bottles after about four weeks of carbing and save the 22 oz bottles to age.

That reminds me, I have a couple of them aging and am going to throw a couple of bottles in the fridge. It has been a while since I tasted them.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #8
Brew_Meister
Recipes 

I havent made a Hibiscus Saison but I have made a Lavender Saison and a Hibiscus Wit. It was a Honey Hibiscus Wit, I can send the recipe for either one if you are interested. I used 6 oz hibiscus and added at 15 minutes left in boil. I only noticed a small amount of hibiscus flavor in the brew, and a lot of color from the hibiscus. My brew was very red to almost purple in color. It also seemed to dry it out a bit, but maybe that was from the 1 lb honey, not sure. Overall it was a good beer if you like the wit style. Let me know if you are interested in seeing the recipes.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
Sciyan
Recipes 

I've made a wheat beer with 100g (3,5 oz) of hibiscus at 10 min for a 19L (5 gallons) batch. The color was perfect red and the taste was between rasberry and red herbal tea and it was also a little acid. If you "dry hop" I think the taste will be subtle and not too red.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've not used Hibiscus. I keep meaning to. If you do a search, I think there are several threads on it. If using Hibiscus, I would cut down on the finishing hops, otherwise they will clash. Maybe drop the Cent at 0, and split the EKG into two and add it at 15 and 5.

To your recipe:

You are wasting your time and money with

.25 lb honey malt
.5 lb munich malt
2 lbs flaked wheat

All 3 of these need to be mashed. Steeping will not get you anything. Even if you were planning on mashing, the Honey and Munich malt do not have enough enzymes to convert the wheat. They may add a little flavor, will add no sugars, and will probably make the beer cloudy with the starches they will put in your beer.

I would probably just go with the extract (Both the LME and DME that you have), and add 1.5 lbs of table sugar (after main fermentation has passed), and it should give you something like 1.070 OG. If you can get some wheat extract, maybe use a couple of lbs of that (LME or DME), but I would not worry about getting it if it is difficult. Belgians/Saisons do not normally have any crystal.

The sugar will not give you a cidery taste. It will not add any taste, it will add alcohol and help dry the beer out.

Use a Belgian yeast. Belgians are all about the yeast. If you are trying for a Saison, do not use S-05, S-04, Notty, or other non-Belgian/Saison yeast. And make sure you ferment about 75 F (depends a lot on the yeast, but Belgians do better at higher temperatures - Some need to be in the 80s to give their best such as the dupont strain). As someone noted, 3711 is a beast, and does bring out its profile at a lower temperature than most Saison yeasts. I'm still trying to figure out if I like it or not; when the beer is young, I have not been impressed, but a few bottles I left for a year have been quite impressive.

I hope some of this is useful, I don't want to put you off, an Hibiscus Saison sounds interesting. Good luck

Quick Reply