Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hemp Beer

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
pilkinga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hemp Beer

This might be a delicate subject but thought I would throw it out there to stir the home brew pot a little. Has anyone ever made a hemp beer before? and by hemp beer I mean......you know!

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No, I don't know...please explain...wait...you don't mean....
I wonder if a "hemp" beer would have any effect...or would it just be a flavor thing....

Old 02-19-2005, 12:29 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had it in Holland....just like making tea....

Old 02-19-2005, 01:32 AM   #4
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

really? i'd be hard pressed to toss my 'hemp' into a boiling kettle....

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
Uncle Fat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't tried this, but I've toyed with the idea. From what I understand, THC (the active ingredient in ".....you know") is alcohol soluable. So boiling it might get you a little of the flavor you want, but not any of the.... you know... effect. What' you'd have to do is make a high alcohol beer, then "dry-hemp" it in the secondary. The question is: if you're making a high alcohol beer in the first place, do you really need the... you know?? Also, how much would you need per gallon in order to notice???
A friend of mine has been asking me to make a hemp-e-weizen.... Maybe one of these days....

Here's a book I found on the subject: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/093255122X/qid=1108798369/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-3709525-1123368?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Our beverage that art in kegs,
Hallowed be thy tap,
With thee supplied, we will imbibe,
At home as we do in the public house.
Give us this day our liquid bread
And forgive us our spills
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
Lead us not unto hangovers
But deliver us from overindulgence.
Ahh Malt.

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
-annonymous

Last edited by Uncle Fat; 02-19-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fat
I haven't tried this, but I've toyed with the idea. From what I understand, THC (the active ingredient in ".....you know") is alcohol soluable. So boiling it might get you a little of the flavor you want, but not any of the.... you know... effect. What' you'd have to do is make a high alcohol beer, then "dry-hemp" it in the secondary. The question is: if you're making a high alcohol beer in the first place, do you really need the... you know?? Also, how much would you need per gallon in order to notice???
A friend of mine has been asking me to make a hemp-e-weizen.... Maybe one of these days....

Here's a book I found on the subject: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/093255122X/qid=1108798369/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-3709525-1123368?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

THC is fat soluble for sure, I don't know about alcohol and THC interaction....well, kind of...but anyways, I was thinking about how people add chococate or other fruity, sugary, fatty syrups to beer for flavor. The hemp would have to be incorporated into one these is what I'm thinking, by simmering for about 30 min. I have no idea as to how the boil would affect anything, or if it should be done after the boil then added to the wort, but who knows. Crazy that theres a book about this, but then again, I'm not too surprised.

Last edited by OSUmoney83; 02-19-2005 at 08:12 AM.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
OSUmoney83
Recipes 

Location: In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scottsdale, Arizona
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, maybe its partly because I have a nice homebrew buzz going (my beer works!) or whatever, I'll admit that in earlier years, "I knew some friends who experimented with "hemp brownies"......but they didn't inhale.... I just know it has to be simmered in a fatty substance for about 30-45 min to extract the "flavor"

Old 02-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

You'd that you have to make a "tea" first then add it like you would flavoring.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
seven77
Recipes 

Aren't hops the closest relitive to "you know"? The first thing I noticed when I opened my first bag of hops was how much it smelled like "you know". You'd think it'd add bittering qualities and flavor like hops.

I also tried some of that special brew in Maastrict. It didn't taste all that spectacular, nor did I get any special effects from drinking it.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
pilkinga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, surprised with all the posts! and the Book, who knew those stoners could get it together enough to write a book on the subject.

I to, have the 'friends' who have done the brownie experiment, by simmering the 'hemp' in butter then adding it to the brownie mix. I figured that the heat extracted the desired qualites into the butter so that it would work by boiling as well. But it seems that the concensus is that the THC is fat soluble rather than heat soluble.......anyone know??

Closed Thread

Quick Reply