Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with a Widmer Brrr-like red ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
paint_it_black
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with a Widmer Brrr-like red ale?

I've tried my hand at a Widmer Brrr clone a couple of times, but the proportions were so different from recipe to recipe, and it's been so long since I last made it, it's hard to remember what worked and what didn't, and what they tasted like. I'm working on a new draft and would like some input, since I'm really not too knowledgeable when it comes to putting recipes together.
It doesn't necessarily have to taste just like Brrr, as long as it's a tasty winter warmer-like beer.

Widmer lists their grains for the beer as Pale 2-row, Munich, chocolate malt, Crystal 10L, Crystal 80L, carapils.

It seems to me that the "candylike finish" they talk about comes from the munich and crystal malts, which also both are the main contributors to colour (along with the chocolate of course), is that right? Based on these assumptions, here is what I have now:

11 lb Pale 2-row (76%)
.75 lb Munich (5%)
1 lb Crystal 10L (7%)
1 lbCrystal 80L (7%)
.5 lb carapils (3.5%)
.2 lb chocolate malt (1.4%)

Haven't started tweaking the hop additions yet, wanted to focus on the grain bill first. But it will likely use Nugget for bittering (good sub for their Alchemy blend), and Cascade & Simcoe for aroma and maybe some dry hopping.

How's the grain bill look? Do I need more or less of something? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Edit: here's this for reference- http://widmerbrothers.com/beer/#brrr-seasonal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I just did one. It is dry hopping so my taste only told me it was a good beer, not necessarily a BRRR.

8lb GW Pale
6 Munich
1 Crystal 40
.5 Crystal 75
.65 CarPils
1oz Black Malt

5.5 g Hop Extract 60
28g Simcoe 15
50g Cascade 5
43g Simcoe DH
35g Cascade DH

6 gallon recipe, DH numbers were supposed to be 28 g but I just dump the leftover hops from the bags I had.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whoa, that's a pretty high Munich to Pale ratio you have there. Is that the route I should be going? My previous batch I had more Munich than I do now, I just thought you're supposed to have one main base malt... (Like I said, I'm not experienced in putting recipes together all that much)

Old 11-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Randy Moshers Red Ale recipe from his book is as follows,

India Red Ale all-grain recipe percentages should be: 50% pale ale; 39% Munich malt; 6% medium crystal; 4% dark crystal; 1% black patent

My feeling is that a lot of breweries with Red Ales have borrowed his formula and made some personal tweaks. I've brewed this before without the CaraPils and slightly different hops and it was excellent.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Randy Moshers Red Ale recipe from his book is as follows,

India Red Ale all-grain recipe percentages should be: 50% pale ale; 39% Munich malt; 6% medium crystal; 4% dark crystal; 1% black patent

My feeling is that a lot of breweries with Red Ales have borrowed his formula and made some personal tweaks. I've brewed this before without the CaraPils and slightly different hops and it was excellent.
Hmm, alright, maybe I'll tweak mine to be more in line with this and see how it goes. thanks!

Quick Reply