Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help Wanted: Boneyard RPM IPA Clone Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default Help Wanted: Boneyard RPM IPA Clone Recipe

This is a fantastic Oregon beer, only available on tap in parts of Oregon, California, and Washington I believe. It's got Double IPA hop aroma, IPA bitterness, and pale ale smoothness. Fantastic beer. Here's the brewery website with list of beers: http://www.boneyardbeer.com/boneyardbeer/BEERS.html

Here's the web description:

Quote:
RPM IPA should break the hop tachometer! Pale in color with pineapple and citrus notes exploding from the glass. Boiled and dry-hopped using four northwest hop varieties. Prepare yourself for a wild ride...rev it up with a rpm IPA today!
I found it on tap today, brought it back to the house and ran some tests. I've got 1.008-1.009 FG, 6.75-6.8 Brix FG, estimated OG of 1.058, est ABV 6.5%. Since this isn't canned/bottled/tested, I'm not 100% sold on 7% ABV, might just be a rounding effort on their part?

It is slightly lighter than 6 SRM, I'd say somewhere around 5.7-5.8. Smells very similar to Abrasive, which is basically all Citra. Pure white head, nice lacing. There's some crystal in there, not a bunch, might need some dextrose to get down that dry. Rumors are possibly some or all of Citra, Centennial, Casacade, Chinook, Simcoe, Bravo, CTZ.

There is a ton of hop character in this, it's like double IPA territory. I'd say they FWH with Citra, and then whirlpool. They do techniques similar to Firestone Walker, so it fits the bill.

What do you all think on the FG numbers? Is it 6.??% or are my numbers wrong and it's 7 with a higher SG?

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I am sitting at 15th Ave, Hophouse in PDX drinking this beer right now with my brewing partner trying to dissect it as well. The beer advocate and hophouse have it as 7.5% and 75 IBU (Boneayard site says 7% and 50 IBU?) Here is what we are thinking:

6 gal

15 lbs 2-row
1 lb C-30
Bravo- 60 min
5 min hops:
Chinook
Centennial
Simcoe
Citra

Dry hops with same 5 min hops

American Ale II yeast?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Oh sweet. They use Wyeast 1968 in most of their beers, including RPM.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Can't add much to the discussion other than to agree it is a very nice, tasty IPA. The Hoppy Brewer on Main Street in Gresham usually has it on tap.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the yeast info. I recognize it now it now, sort of that Laurelwood softness to the yeast. We made some headway after 2 pints each. Seems very Citra and Centennial forward-pineapple and fruit. Some pine for sure, but might be Chinook, not Simcoe?

We also were remarking how there was very little hop bite or lingering bitterness. Makes us think all late hop additions are a possibility. 15 min to 0 for all hops is a guess. If we go with only 4 hops, it would be Bravo, Citra, Centennial and Chinook-again mostly Citra and Centennial. Not really getting any "Cascade-y-ness" but could be wrong on that?

We are going to split a 12 gal wort into separate kettles and play around with the hops a bit to see which is closest, then work from there.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
Thanks for the yeast info. I recognize it now it now, sort of that Laurelwood softness to the yeast. We made some headway after 2 pints each. Seems very Citra and Centennial forward-pineapple and fruit. Some pine for sure, but might be Chinook, not Simcoe?

We also were remarking how there was very little hop bite or lingering bitterness. Makes us think all late hop additions are a possibility. 15 min to 0 for all hops is a guess. If we go with only 4 hops, it would be Bravo, Citra, Centennial and Chinook-again mostly Citra and Centennial. Not really getting any "Cascade-y-ness" but could be wrong on that?

We are going to split a 12 gal wort into separate kettles and play around with the hops a bit to see which is closest, then work from there.
Ill do something similar. Not sure if there's a FWH going on or not. Could be a nice whirlpool too.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I think FWH and a whirpool are possibilities. Dextrose is an interesting possibility to get that dry with 1968, though Firestone Walker Union Jack gets quite dry without any sugar added. The Firestone mash is 145 f for 45 min. 155 for 15 min. They get really fermentable wort from this that has some dextrins left to support the hops. This is gonna be fun one to clone! Time to find a pound of Citra...

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBrewz View Post
Yeah, I think FWH and a whirpool are possibilities. Dextrose is an interesting possibility to get that dry with 1968, though Firestone Walker Union Jack gets quite dry without any sugar added. The Firestone mash is 145 f for 45 min. 155 for 15 min. They get really fermentable wort from this that has some dextrins left to support the hops. This is gonna be fun one to clone! Time to find a pound of Citra...
Or two..Label Peelers has pounders and they're on sale, 21% off through today (i think, maybe tomorrow). Use code SPRINGSALE

http://labelpeelers.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_ in_description=1&zenid=hifeinmlhrfdksuesnt1aoifg7& keyword=citra

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Or two..Label Peelers has pounders and they're on sale, 21% off through today (i think, maybe tomorrow). Use code SPRINGSALE

http://labelpeelers.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_ in_description=1&zenid=hifeinmlhrfdksuesnt1aoifg7& keyword=citra
Thanks, I think I will treat myself.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

We got a reply from Boneyard that the 7% and 50 ibu is correct. This leads me to wonder if they're relying on brewing software for IBU calculations or if they have had the beer lab analyzed? 50 Ibu seems low, but Rogue I2PA is amazingly hoppy at 50 IBU due to massive whirlpool hops. Also, we are debating mouthfeel; is there some dextrin (carapils) and dextrose? I think maybe some dextrose only...?

What we are pretty sure about:

7%
50 IBU

2 row
Light crystal (20 or 30 L)
Citra
Centennial
Chinook
Wyeast 1968

What is likely:

Dextrose
Bravo