Help wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7cable

Reaction score
Hey Guys, still being pretty new to brewing, Ive always used "kits", but now I would like to try making my own recipe. I cant do all grain yet so DME it is. I was thinking of something along the lines of a nice Blonde beer maybe Crystal and Wheat with some Honey and A hint of Orange. The problem is, I dont know how much wheat, grains, honey, orange peel to use.

I was thinking this:

(5 Gallon Boil)

Crystal 30: 16oz
California Wheat: 16oz

2lbs Orange Blossom Honey

Peel of 4 oranges

And 1-2oz of hops (Dont know which kind though)

What do you guys think?
:D

Sounds good, but I'd back off a bit on the crystal as you're going to have around 20-35% unfermentables already in your DME. Here's what I'd do:

3 lbs DME
1 lbs Wheat
.5 lbs Crystal 30
2 lbs Honey added at flameout (make sure you get your honey nice and warm so it pours easily and you don't have to spend 15 minutes scraping it all out of the container).

1.0oz Cascade @60
0.5oz Cascade @15
0.5oz Cascade and orange zest @1

OG ~1.050, 25-30 IBUs, 5% abv. The oranges should meld nicely with the citrusy Cascade character. Looks like a really tasty spring/summer beer to me, so it'll be perfect to bust out in the beginning of March when it's had plenty of time to condition. Feel free to tinker around with the percentages or hop schedule or whatever to make it your own, it'll wind up being pretty good no matter what you do to it. The most important part is having a clear idea of what you want, and picking your ingredients to fit that theme :)

Thanks! That sounds about right, but one thing more. Do I place the orange peels in the mash? or fermenter? Or should I have them in the boil? or use them throughout the whole process?

Latest posts

Back