Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > HELP . . . Sulfur Odor!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
evenstill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP . . . Sulfur Odor!?!

I started a Belgian Specialty Ale this last Monday using the recipe below. I’ve re-suspended the yeast a couple of times using a home made Lazy Susan table so as not to introduce any oxygen. Just this evening I seem to be getting some faint sulfur/egg odors. Is everything ok? What’s going on? Is there something I need to do in order to prevent a batch of swill or will everything be fine?

Thanks,
Evenstill

Belgian Honey White
Extract with Specialty Grains
Makes 5 Gallons

Ingredients:
• ½ lb Flaked Wheat
• ½ lb White Wheat Malt
• ½ lb Belgian Pilsner
• 6 lbs Liquid Wheat Extract
• 3 lbs Honey
• 1 oz Ahtanum Pellet Hops
• ½ oz crushed Coriander
• ½ oz Bitter Orange Peel
• ½ oz Shredded Fresh Ginger Root
• ½ oz Fresh Lemon Zest
• 4 ½ oz Corn Sugar (priming sugar)
• 1 capsule of BrewVint Yeast Fuel (nutrient)
• Yeast: White Labs, Belgian Wit Ale, WLP400

Directions:
Sanitize everything.

In a 16 – 20 quart stainless stockpot, bring 2 ½ gallons of water to 155°F and turn off heat.

Put the crushed grains (½ lb Flaked Wheat, ½ lb White Wheat Malt, ½ lb Belgian Pilsner) in a grain bag and steep for 15 minutes, agitating the grain bag with a stainless spoon. Remove the grain bag and get all the water out of it then discard.

Return to heat until boiling then turn heat off once again and move the stockpot to a cool burner. Stir in the 6 lbs of Liquid Wheat Extract and 3 lbs of Honey until completely dissolved then heat the mixture until boiling.

Reduce heat to achieve a good roiling boil without it boiling over. Add ½ oz of Ahtanum Hops and set a timer for 60 minutes.

Add the ½ oz crushed Coriander, ½ oz Bitter Orange Peel, ½ oz Shredded Fresh Ginger Root, and ½ oz Fresh Lemon Zest for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Add the capsule of BrewVint Yeast Fuel for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Add the last ½ oz of Ahtanum Hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Cool the wort to around 80°F and pour it into a clean 6 ½ gallon glass carboy for primary fermentation.

Add enough cool water to make 5 ¼ gallons.

Check the Original Gravity. It should be around 1.066.

Pitch your yeast (White Labs, Belgian Wit Ale, WLP400).

Aerate thoroughly.

Attach airlock and blow-off tube.

Primary fermentation should slow down after 5-7 days. At this point rack into a clean 5 gallon glass carboy for conditioning (secondary fermentation).

Conditioning should last around 5-7 days. Final gravity should be around 1.016. At this point rack into a clean 5 gallon glass carboy for priming and bottling.

Pour 1-2 cups of water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Stir in 4.5 oz of Corn Sugar until completely dissolved (approximately 1 minute) then remove from heat and let cool to 80°F or cooler.

Pour the cooled sugar water into the bottling carboy and mix gently but thoroughly.

Bottle and age for 3-4 weeks.

Brew Log:
03/17/2008
4:00pm: Initial fermentation started.
Original Gravity: 1.0675
Sugar by weight: 16.46° Plato
I didn’t have ½ oz of lemon zest so I just used ¼ oz.

03/19/2008
10:00pm: I haven’t seen an excessive amount of foam so I removed the blow-off tube and re-suspended the sediment using a home made Lazy Susan table.

03/21/08
9:45am: I re-suspended the sediment using a home made Lazy Susan table. Fermentation is still quite vigorous with bubbles coming faster then 1 every second.
8:00pm: I’m starting to detect a faint sulfur/egg odor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstill
8:00pm: I’m starting to detect a faint sulfur/egg odor.
Give it more time . . . . It'll go away.

And for christ sake stop spinning your yeast, your making them dizzy! It's an Ale yeast, they are supposed to be on bottom. That's where they like to work. Trust me, there is plenty in suspension.

Go to the store, buy beer, sit down, drink craft and relax.

After 7 days take a sample (with something sanitized) and check the gravity. Write it down. In another day, do it again.

When it appears to have stopped, bump this thread if you aren't sure that it's terminal (finished).

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 03-22-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Belgian yeasts will often give some pretty funky smells during fermentation, it's just the way they are. And definitely leave the yeast alone! They can find the food, don't worry.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
evenstill
Recipes 

Thanks all. The odor disappeared after another day or two . . . but the fermentation is still quite active. Is this a problem?

I’ve had it in primary for almost 10 days now and there is still 1-2 inches of foam at the top, not very much trub settling to the bottom, and the bubbles are still coming at a rate of 1 every 10-11 seconds.

Should I just leave it in primary until the foam goes away or the bubbles slow down? Would it be better if I go ahead and rack it at the two week mark anyway and if so, should I try to get some of the foam off the top into the secondary?

Thanks,
evenstill

Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
Judd
Recipes 

Nothing to worry about. Some beers take longer to ferment out. Leave it in primary until it's done. Racking it to secondary wouldn't do you any good.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
evenstill
Recipes 

Will the krausen sink to the bottom when it's finished? What should I look for other then airlock activity (I'm leery about opening it constantly to check the gravity)?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The krausen will drop when it's pretty much done, I wouldn't do anything with it (even gravity readings) until it does. You also don't need to take daily gravity readings, just check every few days and when it's stabilized (AND at least a week has passed) you can rack to secondary.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4378 Times on 3185 Posts
Likes Given: 854

I know it's hard, but try to just walk away for at least another four days to a week. The beer isn't finished yet, but will eventually finish up. Don't worry about it- it'll be fine!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #9
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just leave it.

The more threads you read here and the more links you follow from here, the longer you will leave your beer on the yeast in primary.

I am up to three weeks in primary on the yeast cake now, minimum, for any beer no matter what, and my brews are still getting better and better with every batch.

Secondary is for girly-man types. Long primary ferments let the yeast clean up after the big party.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
evenstill
Recipes 

Default Update

I racked it to secondary on Sunday 04-06-08 and the gravity was 1.0169. So it’s been in secondary for about 2 weeks and I’m still seeing quite a few small bubbles rising within the carboy. Is this normal at this point? Should I:

A) Re-suspend the yeast using my lazy-susan turn table to speed up the conditioning process,

B) Go ahead and bottle it in another week or so even if there’s still some activity within the carboy, or

C) Leave it alone until there are absolutely no signs of activity within the carboy then bottle?

Thanks,
evenstill

Quick Reply