Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with a spiced porter recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
kite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with a spiced porter recipe?

Hey guys,
I'm brewing a sort of mulled wine porter for Christmas this year. Brewing with some spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, maybe some anise, nutmeg, and orange zest) then aging on red wine oak.
My problem is getting these spices measured out right. I'm doing a couple 1 gallon batches so I can't keep it small in case I get the amounts wrong on one, the other will have a chance.
How would you recommend doing these spices in a one gallon batch? How much of each and when to add, etc.?
I'm pretty new to this stuff, so I appreciate the help!

Kite

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I would suggest it is better to have just a hint of a spice, than to be overpowering and undrinkable. For ginger check recipes, I know there is a Barkshack Gingermead that might help there. I would personally try just 1 clove in a gallon, you can always increase the next batch.
There is another post currently about cloves also.
Maybe a couple cinnamon sticks?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
kite
Recipes 

Awesome. Thanks for the input! I definitely agree on the non-overpowering flavors. Glad you mentioned the cloves, because mine could have turned nasty with clove overload.

I've read a lot about using candied ginger at opposed to powered or raw. Anyone have thoughts on this and how the different forms will affect the outcome?

Quick Reply