The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with smoked wheat efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
geniz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Help with smoked wheat efficiency

Help

I brewed a smoked wheat beer the other day and my efficiency sucked.
It was an all german wheat malt grain bill. About a week before I brewed, I cold smoked the wheat malt with oak.

I did a single infusion mash at 150 degrees in my system that I usually get 70% efficiency. This time my efficiency was 54%.

I did not do a protein rest.

I have done similar style beers with 50% of the grain bill unsmoked wheat malt and have never had a problem with efficiency. I did not do a protein rest on these beers either

When I smoked the beer, I wetted the malt with a spray bottle at the beginning and at several times during the cold smoke. The malt was smoked for just over 2 hours. Since I was using a cold smoke technique, the temperature in the smoker did not go over ambient temperature (high 70's).

Where am I going wrong. Does cold smoking grain affect its diastatic power? How about wetting the grain for smoking? From what I can tell, the wheat malt should have enough diastatic power to convert, but do I need to throw some pilsner or 2 row malt in with it?

Any help is appreciated.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply