Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with Russian Imperial Stout recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know what size starter you'll need, but I wouldn't make one. Just make a 2-3 gallon batch of bitter or mild and use the resulting cake as your starter. As mentioned above, if you need the Carafa for color, then you need more roasted malts. I like black patent, but roasted barley would be fine as well. Given the time this will likely age and the assertiveness of the other flavors in the beer, I see no need for any hop additions other than bittering. That having been said, low-alpha hops provide a longer-lasting bitterness than high-alpha, so you may want to use several ounces of something weak and cheap at 60-90 minutes.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
IOnceWasLegend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmmm. Interesting points.

So I've tweaked the recipe to try and get more roasted flavors in there. I didn't know what people's experiences were with the extra dark Candi syrup, but the flavor profile sounds intriguing, a bit more roasted/coffee flavors, so I substituted the molasses for it. Mark II for the recipe:

14 lbs Maris Otter pale malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1.5 lb Roasted Barley (300L)
.5 lb Crystal 120L
.25 lb Special B malt
1 lb Extra Dark Candi Syrup (D-180)
1.5 lb Flaked Oats
1.5 oz Columbus Hops, 60 minutes
1.25 oz Columbus Hops, 30 minutes

Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Great addition with the D180 syrup. I recently made a belgian quad with 2 lbs of the stuff along with 1 lb of D90. The samples have tasted amazing so far.

You'll get plenty of roasted character with that. I get enough with mine that was 1 lb RB, .75 lb chocolate. Cheers!

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The candi syrups will produce a lot of the same burnt-raisin flavors as the Special B and C-120, albeit without the sweetness and body the malts offer. Not saying you can't use all three, just pointing out the overlap. Since the syrup is 3-4x the price of the malts, I'd save it for a quad, where you're specifically looking for a thin-bodied beer. If you want heavy roast without harshness, you can add a few grams baking soda to your mash to raise the ph a little.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #15
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 416 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 232

If you're looking for something really roasty like Old Rasputin, I'd either up the roasted barley even more, or use the same amount of a darker RB. That 300L Briess stuff is kinda mild. Crisp makes a RB somewhere in the neighborhood of 750L which is crazy dark. It has a huge flavor. Whether that's to your liking or not is another story, but it's distinctive enough that it's worth trying once to find out.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply