Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with Roggenweizen Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Help with Roggenweizen Recipe?

I made a Rye IPA a few batches ago, and it has turned out as one of my favorite beers to date. I only used 1lb of flaked rye, so the rye is there but not overpowering. Browsing through the recipe db, I saw a rye wheat from Ryanh1801. Cheesefood brought up the point that this was actually called a roggenweizen. A word I have never heard before . I better make one.

I have never been a big wheat beer fan, as most are fairly bland (Yeah, Im a hophead). Talking with Wortmonger offline (PM, thank you sir) I shared my ideas for a recipe, and he gave me some pointers, so I am going to post my current attempt at a recipe and see if anyone else has some ideas.

5 Gallon Batch
OG - shooting for 1.055 - 1.060
IBU - shooting for about 20 - 30 ?

40% Pale 2row
25% Wheat Malt
25% Rye Malt
10% Crystal 10

Hops, not sure... Have a few oz on hand of Columbus, Cascade, Amarillo, Simcoe, EKG, Sterling, Wilamette. What goes good in a roggenweizen?

Picked up a pack of Safale-06 last time through the LHBS, figured I would use that to give it a whirl. My beers made with dry yeast (Nottingham, S-04, S-05) seem to turn out better than liquid, so I might try to stick with what has been working for me.

Wortmonger brought up a good point, about stuck sparge with that much wheat and rye. I have a 10G rectangular igloo maxcold with 1/2" plumbing and a SS Braid from a hot water heater line (big). In my extensive experience (of one whole AG batch), it seems to drain quickly. Should I be concerned with a stuck sparge?

Thanks all for any ideas, recommendations, and guidance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 113 Posts

out of those hop options, i'd use the willamette just for bittering.

that sounds great. i love rye and i've made a couple of rye weizens myself...nice and spicy and tasty.

if you're concerned about a stuck sparge, use some rice hulls. i've never had a problem with my false bottom.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input, but I have a couple n00b questions...

So just one bittering addition at 60 minutes? No later additions?

What IBU range do you normally do for your rye-weizen?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would opt for bitter hops (60 minutes) and a tiny bit for flavouring hops as well (10 to 15 minutes).

But that's just my opinion.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Check the style guidelines for this beer. To make it to style, it's basically a dunkleweizen with rye instead of wheat.

Try here as well: http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html

Old 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Technically it's called a Roggenbier, not Roggenweizen, but the two could certainly be interchangable.

A Roggenbier is a Dunkelweizen that uses rye malt in place of all of the wheat malt and is usually comprised of at least 50% rye malt in the grist. This is a traditional German weizen, so using WLP300 or the Wyeast equivilant would be appropriate. Using a neutral yeast will not yield the banana/close aroma and profile that is traditional with the beers in this style category.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie Stout View Post
Check the style guidelines for this beer. To make it to style, it's basically a dunkleweizen with rye instead of wheat.

Try here as well: http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html
I actually read that page when I was googling around. There is surprisingly few hits for "roggenweizen" but many for roggenbier. One of the first things on that page says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanbeerinstitute;
"Roggenbier is a medieval ale usually made from a grain bill of about half barley malt and equal portions of wheat and rye malts."
Which led me to my current grain %'s.

Seems like I may have been a little high on the IBU scale for the style, so I think I will back it off a bit to 12 - 15 IBU using just wilamette.

I am also starting to think that the crystal might be out of place here too. Will the wheat and rye be enough to give sufficient body?

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I have a beer planned that is almost identical to yours. I hope to brew it next week. I want my IBU's higher than the style guidelines recommend (it'll end up a hybrid due to IBU's and the SRM). Since that will throw it out of style, I figured to use Amer. Wheat yeast instead of the 3068 yeast.

Here's Jamil's take on that beer: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/Roggenbier.html

Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, let me know how it turns out. I think I am going to be in acquire mode for the next week, and then traveling to Amsterdam for 2 weeks for work .

I wont get around to brewing until the end of the month. Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Ordered stuff today from Austin Homebrew. Should be here for the week runs out and I hope to have it fermenting by the weekend.

Here's the bill:

1.0 lbs rice hulls
4.5 lbs white wheat
3.5 lbs two row
2.5 lbs rye malt
.25 lbs chocolate rye
.25 lbs chocolate wheat

.50 oz Amarillo FWH
.50 Amarillo 20mins
.50 Amarillo 5mins

OG: 1.054
IBU's: 27.4

White Labs Amer Hefe Yeast 320

I wanted a dark spicy hefe beer. I hope the Amarillo complements the rye the way I think it will. The chocolates are strictly for color, but I thought it cool to have both wheat and rye since they are the base of the beer.

Quick Reply