Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with recipe formulation - bananas and brown sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
rhern053
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with recipe formulation - bananas and brown sugar

My girlfriend's grandfather brought some "bien me save" from Nicaragua and I thought about making a beer with some of it's subtle flavor. Bien me save is a very simple snack. It's fried green plantains sliced thin (the size of those crispy potato sticks that look like french fries) tossed in a pan with brown sugar until the sugar melts and coats the plantains. Cooled and eaten at room temperature. It's sweet, tangy, and dry.

I'm pretty sure I am just going to use brown sugar as some extra fermentables to add a general presence, but am not sure how to introduce plantains (or bananas).

I read about making banana beer, which involves actually mashing bananas like one would grain. It's apparently big in Africa. I'd rather go with a simpler way of intoducing bananas/plantains, and would still like to mash just barley.

Anybody have experience with

1 - making banana beer?

2 - making beer to complement/resemble foods?

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas. And if you know of any interesting central american spices that would go well let me know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

most wheat yeasts will give you a banana taste if thats all you want, especially when fermented warm.

I have had a beer that was meant to resemble banana bread ( http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-beers/ales/wells-banana-bread-beer ) but to me it tastes like banana runts (and not in a good way)

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
rhern053
Recipes 

haha yeah I've had it as well and thought the same thing actually

Quick Reply