Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > help with a recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default help with a recipe

ok people, I need help with a recipe....

I'm trying to create strong ale beer with a lot of body, would like it to be a bit caramel taste...

I have pale ale malt and very dark munich...

the biggest problem I have are the hops. I have 5 varieties - magnum, super styrian, target, pilgrim and first gold... these are all very bitter hops, don't know how to use them for flavour and aroma...

I want to use safale s-04 yeast, and I also concidered caramelizing 4 liters of wort by cooking it to 2 liters

would you be so kind to recommend a recipe, thanks alot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Look at some of the Barleywine recipes in the pulldown. It sounds to me that is what you are describing. I would not think you need to go to the lengths you describe (carmelizing 2l of wort) and I would also consider using something higher attenuating than s-04 or mash low. Big beers have lots of body to start with, you wont need to go to great lengths to achieve that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply