Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > HELP! Need recipes: I've got ex lt DME, xstal malt & colu. hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
wareaglebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP! Need recipes: I've got ex lt DME, xstal malt & colu. hops

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster with only 4 batches of extract/steeping grains under my belt. I have brewed nut brown ale, AIPA(yumm), and two american brown ales.

I have 40 lbs of ex lt DME, 14 oz of columbus hops and 5 lbs of crystal malt, 1 oz EK goldings, 1 oz chinook, 1 oz nugget.

I need recipes to get the most out of the rediculous 'buy in bulk' mode I was in. I would like to try some different styles from what I have made previouosly. I never should have bought so much as new as i am to brewing. I need help creating some variety!!

Recipes!! Please!!!

Thanks, Brent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What Lov. # is the crystal malt?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

IPA. Definitely!!!!

You can make an all-columbus IPA with some DME and crystal and some of those columbus hops.

But if you want a style you've never done.............you could do an American Amber. You have plenty of hops, but you really don't have much to do an English ale (I'd think a couple of ounces of fuggle or EKG would do it) or many other styles. A few more ingredients would definitely help.

If you could buy a couple of ounces of different hops, and a few other specialty grains, you could do a stout, a porter, English IPA, English mild, California Common, etc.

The crystal and the DME are a great starting point. You'll use that in every beer!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

6 lbs dme, a lb of crystal, one oz columbus for the boil, one oz columbus for flavor / finish...say 20 and 5 min, 1/2 oz each, dryhop if so inclined...S04 or S05.

Just a shot in the dark...have fun!

Don't panic over the bulk buy...DME properly stored will last a looong time...as will hops in the freezer.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 06-25-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

I made this extract/ grains recipe with Zeus and Centennial hops. Just switch out the Zeus for your Columbus and switch the Centennials for your Chinook.

Zeus and Columbus are pretty much interchangeable. I think it is just a difference in name brand only.

I would slide some Columbus in at flameout too.

That beer was delicious. I'm down to my last 5 bottles and i love each one.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
wareaglebrew
Recipes 

Next brew, I am thinking of an ESB but I only have the one ounce of EK Goldings. Add the DME and 12 oz Crystal 70 to get around 1.050 OG, 10 SRM. Would it be close if I used say 1/2 oz of Columbus for bittering(60 min), 1/4 oz Columbus for flavor (20 min) and then used the full oz of EK Goldings for aroma? I know the columbus can be overpowering, that is why I only put 1/4 oz for flavor. BeerSmith shows and IBU of around 31.

Then I think I would go with Yoops suggestion and try the all out Columbus IPA. What combinations would you suggest for an American Amber?

The crystal is a 70.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
wareaglebrew
Recipes 

ericd, my crystal is 70.

YooperBrew, thanks, yes I do LOVE the IPA and I only have 4 of my last batch . My Columbus are 12.3 AA, what do you think would be good addition times/oz of them for a 1.065 OG IPA? My last IPA was all Cascade. Also, what would be a good recipe for an american amber with the ingredients I have?

I was thinking about an English Pale Ale, do you think the 1 oz of EK Goldings I have stand a chance of their aroma coming through if I use the columbus as a bittering and flavoring hop or would it just waste the EKG?

And I am definitely making an APA using the columbus as well.

Thanks, Brent

Quick Reply