Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > help with my hop selection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
stirlingtrent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yooper, thanks for the suggestion! One concern though, I put your hop schedule into beersmith, and the IBUs came in pretty low, maybe that's the rest of my setup, but do you think there'd be a problem bumping up the 60 minute columbus to 1 oz, instead of .5? Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4927 Times on 3572 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
OK, this is the second thread where I have seen you ditch Citra. I'm interested in what your issues are with it. I've only used it once and it came out pretty good, and am looking forward to using it again as a dominant hop.
It's way too tropical for me- it screams MANGO and overpowers everything. In a small amount as a dryhop with an all-chinook beer, I liked it alot. But in a pale ale, as the sole hop, it tasted like Juicy Fruit gum. Not my thing at all, but like I said with other hops it is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirlingtrent View Post
Yooper, thanks for the suggestion! One concern though, I put your hop schedule into beersmith, and the IBUs came in pretty low, maybe that's the rest of my setup, but do you think there'd be a problem bumping up the 60 minute columbus to 1 oz, instead of .5? Thanks again.
Oh, no, if you need the bittering then increase it would be fine. If your OG is, say, 1.070, a good IBU level would be 60-65 with 35-40 IBUs coming from the 60 minute hops.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply