Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me with this strong gooseberry wit.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
NorJerseyHomebro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help me with this strong gooseberry wit.

I'm looking to make a strong belgian special ale with mostly wheat extract. Here is my theory thusfar.

Shooting for about 8-9%ABV
Strong wheat notes balanced with tartness of gooseberry, using nelson sauvin hops to accentuate earthy, vinous flavors. I want it to have a definite wheat character but Im not looking for banana-y hefeweizen character. I've never used wheat extract and I'm not sure if I should use it alongside dry light extract or not.

Also Im thinking of making a small batch of belgian wit and then using the yeast cake from that to dump this batch on to so I dont have to worry about the yeast dying from the amount of alcohol. Is this a smart idea?

Will any of the specialty malts come through? should I add more? I want there to be some caramel notes in there. Should I use Candi sugars?
Any help, opinions would be well appreciated. This is only my 5th beer, and I have been thinking about making this since I started brewing back in November.

8lb dry wheat extract
.5 Carabelge
.3lb Special B

.5 oz Nelson Sauvin pellets @ 20
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin pellets @10
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin pellets @5
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin pellets @0

WYeast 2944 Belgian Wit
Ferment for 2-3 weeks
rack onto 11lbs of Gooseberries
Leave for 2 more weeks,
Rack into tertiary for 2 weeks