Help me read my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Below is a link to my water quality report from the county gov't website. Can anyone assist in telling me how bad this water is? I've noticed my water is hard, and I often get calcium looking solids from the bathtub when I first turn on the water to get it up to shower temp, and my showerhead clogs almost weekly.

I figured the Chlorine levels were crappy based on taste, but how do I tell if it's straight chlorine or chlorAmine? My LHBS said that you can fix one but not the other.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://www.harfordcountymd.gov/dpw/ws/waterquality.html

Unfortunately, this is not the report you are looking for when evaluating the water quality for brewing. It's only a report that shows you how safe or unsafe the water is.

You need to find a report that lists the concentration of ions like Ca, Na, Mg, SO4, Cl, HCO3 .....

Kai

I think your LHBS is wrong. Both can be removed.

Chlorine and chloramines can both be removed with carbon filters (whether they're inline, whole house, undersink, etc) or reverse osmosis units.

Boiling removes chlorine, but not chloramines. Campden tabs (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) remove both and are easy to use.

Back