Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me make a "violently hoppy" IIIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post
While I agree with all of this... I think that terminal gravity is a very important part of the equation. There are many variables involved with TG but I think that the notion of BU:GU (Thank you Mr. Daniels) is a great tool to use, but a 1.008 beer with 50 IBUs will be very different than a 1.018 with 50 IBUs. One could argue that those terminals would relate to the OG, but I find that grist composition and mash temp play such a huge role in TG that comparing BU:GU from a purely OG stand point is flawed.
I agree! A brew with lots of unfermentables (crystal comes to mind) will finish at a higher FG and have more perceptible residual sweetness to offset the IBUs. And I wouldn't want to drink many 50 IBU 1.008 FG beers (except for my beloved IPAs ).

So while the SG/IBU ratio is helpful and important, it's not the be-all. But it is certainly better than JUST looking at IBUs which I think many brewers tend to do. I've heard people say- "oh, 70 IBUs! That's too much!" without taking into consideration that we're talking about a barley wine and a barley wine NEEDS 70 IBUs in many cases.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #22
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 234

This thread has win written all over it for me! My wife and I are the same as your buddy we are dying to have a violently hoppy beer im really excited to see what you come up with. I would love to give my 2 cents but im still somewhat of a noob and im here to learn! Subscribed!!!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #23
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

As yooper stated we cannot perceive more than 100 ibu's what I think your friend wants is a strong hop flavored beer. I would recommend soon a significant flavor addition at like 15-20 minutes than hop bursting at flame out with like 5+ ounces at the end. Great ipa hops are cascade, centennial, falconers flight and I've been really enjoying citra hops as of late as well.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

when i think of the "bitter face" as you say it makes me think of the really citrusy almost acid like flavor from late hop additions. If your buddy hasn't gotten it from some commercial examples my guess is that its because he isn't getting it quite fresh enough. I thought the same thing, that no commercial IPAs were hoppy enough or even came close to my homebrew, but then i started really checking dates and trying to get as fresh as possible.

i digress though. I think what your buddy is looking for is really something that feels like it is stripping the enamel off your teeth, and doing some damage to your palate. load it up with late hop additions and dry hops especially. make it dry and serve it young, and i don't think you or him will be disappointed.

i hope he is tossing some money in for ingredients. those hops are going to add up $$$

Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has suggested it, but try modifying your water profile. Adding certain minerals to reverse osmosis water will bring out more "bite" from the hops.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

If he wants that much bitterness I'd dump in white vinegar in the bottling bucket and bottle with wine yeast.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
If he wants that much bitterness I'd dump in white vinegar in the bottling bucket and bottle with wine yeast.
I can't fully tell if you're kidding or not, so I'm just gonna ask...

You know that vinegar and hops are two different kinds of bitter, right?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

IMHO if you really want the hops & bitter to shine then Yooper was on the right track with simplifying the grain bill. Lagunitas Daytime Session IPA is a great example of how a lower gravity makes it easier to accentuate the hops. I made a session IPA that was great and the BU:GU was 1.68 (OG 1.041, FG 1.013, calculated IBU 83). If he wants hoppy then keep everything else about it simple.

Don't worry, if he doesn't think it's hoppy enough I'm sure you can find some way to "dispose" of the rest ;-)

Call me crazy, but I can appreciate super bitter - nothing like harvesting hops and throwing one between cheek and gum and feeling that side of your face shrivel up and cave in. (although you better reserve yourself to drinking water the rest of the day because you can't taste anything).

Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
@BudzAndSudz, He's being sarcastic. Eventually you'll see his posts enough that you'll find out his sense of humor tends to be somewhat dry.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I had a feeling he was.... but sometimes the level of intelligence on internet message boards tends to be questionable at best so I had to make sure

Quick Reply