The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me with finaly making a Granville Island winter ale Clone , any help is good.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Dex323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help me with finaly making a Granville Island winter ale Clone , any help is good.

So iv been trying to find a clone recipe for GIB winter ale. Its a good one and no one seems to have a recipe for it.
I found one person on here that had one from Dan's home brewing in Vancouver, where I first started learning how to brew actually , but was a little disappointed with it just from looking . Who knows maybe it is good and I'm trying way to hard. Anyhow ill post a link to my Brewtoad recipe for both Dans which i took and punched in to the calculator and my own which I made using different sources saying what makes there beer so great.Its for a Partial Mash

heres a quick copy of one thing which seems to be off of wiki :

"I was up there last summer, but I didn't get to try the winter ale. Here is what I found on Wikipedia:

Lions Winter Ale - Crystal, Vienna & Munich malts come together to give Lions Winter Ale the body and richness of a robust ale, with a sweet caramel flavour. Specialty hops such as Wilamette, Czech and German Spalt, infuse the aroma. Bavarian Purity Law standards are observed until the filtration stage, at which point real caramel, vanilla and chocolate are added to give this beer a smooth vanilla like finish. "

also the GIB website states it has a ibu of 22
gravity of 2.4
and is 5.5 %

So here is my own recipe which i think i will be brewing in the next week so any input would be awesome. that is especially about the amount of the different grains, type of yeast and whatever else :
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/granville-island-winter-ale-clone-2-on-my-own

here is Dans Home brewing vancouver recipe for the GIB winter ale:
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/gib-winter-ale-dans-hb-clone

Thanks and i hope we can all make an awesome clone recipe for this great beer. everyone's input is appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
shotgunsteve
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm so happy to see this thread

Starting my first all grain brew, going to BIAB, and Granville's winter ale is the style I want.

How did the brew go? Would you make any changes to the recipe?

Gravity readings? How's it look now?

I'm going to do something similar in the next week

Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
shotgunsteve
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Also, here is a further description of the beer from the brewers website:

Caramel malt aromas dominated by cocoa and vanilla. Complex layers of vanilla, bready malts, toffee, cocoa bean and a slight nuttiness. Moderate hop bitterness gives balance so that sweeter flavours do not overwhelm.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
iamthezu
Recipes 

Just bottled this last week. Brewed BIAB. OG was 1.065 and finished 1.010. Taste pre-bottling was good. Just need it to mellow a bit while it carbonates. I didn't have a secondary so I added vanilla soaked vodka to the primary at 10 days. I can't wait to try it in another week or two.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
Dex323
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthezu View Post
Just bottled this last week. Brewed BIAB. OG was 1.065 and finished 1.010. Taste pre-bottling was good. Just need it to mellow a bit while it carbonates. I didn't have a secondary so I added vanilla soaked vodka to the primary at 10 days. I can't wait to try it in another week or two.
Well iv actually been unable to brew for the last few months. moving around,money ,life, blahblahblah. Started an Ipa yesterday finaly. Im sad i didnt get around to making this GIB winter ale. Anyhow im going to start playing around with it now and hopfully have an awsome beer for next season.

So what one did you make , the dans recipe or the one iv put together?
iamthezu?
How is it tasting or did taste

Quick Reply